Prologue

Pop.

Tyson fell onto the grass. Pop! He disappeared and reappeared a couple of metres away. It left Tyson panting, vanishing into thin air and then suddenly just being in a different place. The park that surrounded him was wet, and the damp grass was smudged across his leg. He had been sitting in his room, watching television. And then suddenly his surroundings had vanished and been replaced by grass and an empty playground. Tyson wanted to believe it was just a regular park, but it held powerful memories.

It was his sixth birthday party, probably one of the happiest days of his life. Probably the only time of his life where he had lots of friends, six-year-old Tyson had invited lots of people, and the party had gone for a few hours. That day was still burned into his memory, but why was he dreaming about this place? He assumed it was a dream. But Tyson couldn't remember the last time that he had closed his eyes.

His eyes widened as it dawned upon him. Maybe... Maybe he wasn't asleep. And this wasn't a dream. He had literally teleported into a park at night. But nothing made any sense.

"Why?" Tyson whispered.

A sonic boom filled his ears and he clamped his hands over his ears, falling to the ground. And the world around him swirled like wisps of smoke, and cracked like words on paper. He was laying in the middle of a word tornado.

"What the fuck?"

And then, a demonic, booming voice filled every inch of his brain. "You have not been chosen." The words were like knives scraping on a rock. Deadly. Piercing.

"What the hell do you mean?" he yelled.

"I mean, Tyson, that your testing is complete. You are not needed any more."

And then he realised what was going to happen just before it did.

Fading. Draining. Dying.

Gasping for air, Tyson struggled to get up. His eyes filled with tears, knowing is was the end, and...

Tyson ceased to exist.