Seven

"Hello?"

"Hi, Honey. It's Cass."

"Aunt Cass!" Honey adjusted the phone in her grip. "Is everything okay?"

"You need to come to the hospital. Tadashi woke up."

"What?" she gasped.

"Hiro's been talking to him all morning. He's tired and weak, but he's awake."

Tears slipped out of Honey's eyes, but they were accompanied with a smile. "Oh, Aunt Cass," she sputtered, "I'll be there as soon as possible, I promise."

"He's been up for a long time. He might be asleep once you get here, if you don't hurry."

"Oh, I'll be there in five minutes."

Aunt Cass laughed. It was a good sound. "He asked to see you."

Honey's hand flew to her mouth. "Tell him I'm coming."

She drove over to the hospital in record time and fairly flew up to his room. She stopped at the door and tried to stop her hands from shaking with anticipation. 

She pushed open the door. 

"Honey?" Aunt Cass crossed over from the bed and smiled.

Honey walked to where Tadashi lay and stared at him. For the first time in almost a month, he was able to stare back.

"Hey," he managed weakly.

She smiled, crying softly. "Hey, Dashi."

Honey had been waiting for this moment for weeks. She had never been sure if it would actually come, and now it had. Her emotion overwhelmed her. She hugged Tadashi as best she could as he lay on the bed, and the best feeling in the world washed over her when he raised his weakened arm and hugged her back. She smiled through her tears, crying but laughing at the same time.

She pressed her forehead against his. "I love you," she whispered. "I love you."

"I love you too," Tadashi said coarsely.

Her tears fell onto his face, and she wiped them away, apologizing. "Oh, I'm sorry. Sorry-"

"Don't apologize, Honey," Tadashi said, grabbing her hand as it brushed against his cheek. "I'm just glad to see you."

Honey's weak smile shattered. "So am I."

Tadashi's eyes closed. His weariness was evident.

"Honey," he spoke quietly.

She ran a hand over his hair. "Yes, what?"

He opened his eyes and looked up at her. "Can you stay here?"

She nodded her head, holding his hand. "Of course I can," she whispered, kissing his hand. "Of course, Dashi. I'll stay."

He closed his eyes again. His breathing became steady as he fell asleep.

"Honey?" Aunt Cass placed a hand on her shoulder. "I'm going to go get Hiro from home."

"Okay," she nodded. The door closed behind Aunt Cass. Honey curled up in the chair next to the bed and watched Tadashi sleep. He didn't look too different than before, but knowing that he was out of his coma erased volumes of worry for Honey. She sighed. There was a long road ahead, but he was in the clear. He would make it.

***

"They said I could go home soon," Tadashi said, adjusting himself against the pillows. He frowned and looked around the room. "I'm glad. I'm starting to hate this room."