The "Storage Unit"

"Single file line!" They yelled at the hundreds of people lined up. The cold air pressed against my skin, as I shivered in my boots. My brown eyes keep straight, as I make a failed attempt to keep in the tears.
I was leaving mother behind, to die, along with most other people in society. Me and my mother were a normal family, until the news came in that a meteor storm, not big enough to destroy the planet itself, but to destroy everything on the surface was heading straight earths way.
More news came in that for a certain price, you could be kept underground in a high security "vault" as they call it. They called this vault, the storage unit.
Mother didn't have enough money to get either of us into this storage unit. All we could do at the time was wait for our brutal demise.
We had a week. We had a week till our demise.
Mother didn't come out of her room for 3 of those days. I could hear sobbing coming from in there.
But, on the third night I heard the door open, and I heard foot steps come down the hallway, until they reached the living room. I opened my door to peak at what she was doing and I saw her, with a gun, some gloves and a ski mask.
I don't know why I didn't ask what she was doing. I don't know why I just shut the door and let her be.
A few moments later I heard her leave through the front door. The next day, she was still gone, she was gone for another 2 days.
There were 2 days left before our demise, and she finally got home, with a frightened, but excited face. She called for me immediately and told me she now had the money for the storage unit.
We were both extremely happy. We even shed a few tears together.
Those few tears went from a few to a lot more when I brought up how "we" were going to live.
She told me she didn't have enough for the two of us. I was going alone.
My mood changed instantly. I cried and cried about how she should go instead of me. But she ignored me, went back to her room and left me.
I cried in my room for a clean 7 hours, until I fell asleep.
The next morning I woke up to more crying. I cried and cried until I eventually got up, still slightly sobbing.
It was the last day. The next day, was it.
I hadn't heard from my mother last night. I went to go get the newspaper like I always used to do. I didn't bother to think why the still even gave out newspaper. It shouldn't have mattered anymore. I opened it, curious as to what the news was. Again, not that it mattered.
On the front page, was an article that was... Quite interesting to say the least.

"Local millionaire murdered"

I stared blankly for a second. My face still wet of tears. I connected all of the latest events together, and ran to my mothers room as fast as my legs could go. I opened the door as swiftly as I could and what I saw next, was the most horrifying, devastating thing I'd ever seen...
There, on the floor, next to my mothers bed was a knife, in a puddle of blood, I slowly moved closer, uncovering something that I could never forget.

My mother, sprawled on the floor, dead. Lifeless. I screamed in horror. Why would she do this?? Why?? There next to her was a note, covered in blood, but still readable.

"Rob.
If you're reading this, then I'm dead.
I took myself out early.
I wish I could tell you the truth.
But I can't.
I'm sorry.
-mom"

I flipped the note and there it was. The ticket to the storage unit. I cried.

I cried.

I screamed.

We made it to the storage unit. The place was just as cold as outside. Colder even. They brought us to a long hallway, full of small tube-like things. They told us to step into them. We were told to ask no questions, or else we'll be forced to leave the storage unit..I took their orders and stepped into one. The doors shut slowly after every last person got into one. We were going to survive.
The room got dark.

I couldn't feel anything.