Chapter 2: Welcome to Century Hills

After being released from the hospital, Virgil took Annabelle to his luxurious home in Century Hills. The small town was expansive in size due to its forests and paved roads that stretched for miles. Little buildings occupied every corner of the street with on looking pedestrians that walked them. It was a peaceful looking town. This was all so new to her. A man who she remembers to be her father, taking her in as his own. The love she had recieved from him was genuine compared to the abuse she had recieved from her mother. The abuse she couldn't even remember why it was inflicted. She only knew that she was the cause of something bigger-- something with more meaning. She closed her eyes and felt herself almost succumb to sleep. With her mother, she barely lasted on a few hours of sleep. Her mother would constantly harass her and would sometimes even make her sleep outside. No one noticed it. She was always alone and secluded from everyone else. Virgil looked to her and smiled and uneasy smile as he could only imagine the horrors she had been through.

--

They stretched around a windy road leading to luxurious Victorian-styled houses. Most of them were occupied by old women, but in the corner there was a single woman with her teenage son. She was barking orders at him until she noticed Virgil and began to wave. Once she looked more closely, her joy faded and became worry as she saw Annabelle sleeping soundly.

"Annabelle..." She said softly as she watched the car pass by.

Virgil stopped his car at a brown colored house and tapped Annabelle's shoulder which caused her to jump in surprise.

"It's okay, you are fine." He eased. She looked around and placed a hand on her head, "Where are we...?" She asked.

"This is Century Hills. It's your new home." He explained as he opened the car door. She emerged from the small squad car and looked around uneasily at her new surroundings. "This place..." her mind flickered to a roaring fire engulfed in screams. Virgil looked to her worriedly, "Do you remember anything?"

"No." She said as she looked outward towards the surrounding trees. He looked around and saw people forming in the cul-de-sac. He grabbed Annabelle firmly and tugged her into the house, making sure to close the doors to the car and lock them. Annabelle looked at him questioningly. He closed the blinds and rushed her up the room only to hear shuffling outside their front door and moments later-- a soft knock. Virgil groaned and opened the door to reveal the old hags of the small neighborhood. Among them was Laura Evans, the dainty brunette with eyes the same size as a goldfish. She was always nosy and knew everything there is to know about anyone. Beside her was Marian Baker, the second in command of the three. She was a beautiful blonde woman with an hourglass figure, but her bark was just as bad as her bite. She loved the gossip and was always one to find information for Laura. And lastly, the quiet Alison Ronald. She was a short, stubble of a woman with a pinned up bun and bulky looking glasses. She didn't care much for the gossip, but she was always one to want to fit in with the crowd. Poor girl. Virgil scowled at them causing Laura to glide her tongue along her overly glossed lips.

"Who might that young girl be?" Laura asked.

"No concern of yours." Virgil hissed.

Laura and Marian scoffed, taking his irritation as an invitation to ask more questions. Annabelle glanced over his shoulder at the woman and her mind instantly flashed to them pinching at her cheeks and talking about Veronica behind her back. Annabelle glared at the memory and hid behind her father. Virgil was still angrily exchanging with the woman when suddenly,

"If you don't move your arse." A Scottish, melodic voice brushed against the arguing. The same woman from earlier. She ran her fingers irritably through her bright brown Bob that fell to the nape of her neck. Her eyes were a hazel green that were perfectly shaped. She wore khaki capris that were rolled up neatly and the floral peplum halter top. She pushed passed the girls with her perfectly manicured hands and looked to Virgil with irritation screened on her face.

"Giving you problems, aye?"

Virgil managed a smile and shrugged. Laura instantly crossed her arms and glared at them.

"As your neighbors, we have the right to know who that person is you brought." Marian said.

"Last time I checked, that was none of ye' concern." The woman said.

Laura gasped and Marian glared at her. They walked and tried peaking over his shoulder, but he was much too tall.

"Claire--" She pushed past him before he could finish his sentence and got increasingly close to Annabelle, who reflexively moved away.

"Do you remember me?" She asked curiously as she smiled at her. Annabelle shook her head nervously. Claire stood back and smiled wider at Annabelle. Virgil noticed Annabelle's unease and pulled her further behind him, causing Claire to recognize her discomfort. "Well, my name is Claire Anders."

Annabelle held her gaze on Claire as Claire began to edge towards the door, "If you need anything, I'm next door." She said before completely closing the door. Annabelle nodded and Virgil closed the door as Claire walked out, crestfallen.

"We will get through this together. " He eased as he walked over and held Annabelle firmly. She looked around the house and tried registering this luxurious home as her new one.