The Rescue.

Doctor Jennings and his wife got dressed. Mark snuck in and Rebecca and Jen snuck out to go pick up 'The Intimidators'. We waited. How and when would Frank contact the doctor? We didn't know. All we could do was wait. And hope.

The call came a few minutes after 8. The doctor put it on speakerphone.
"This is Frank Langdon. I believe my son Arthur has an appointment today?
"Let me check" The doctor was a good actor. "Yes, at 9. Are you bringing him in?"

"Well, I was wondering if you do house calls? Our car is out of order." Right, The Langdon's had several cars.

"Yes, I could do that. Shall we say 9 at your house?"

"Well, we are actually at our cottage, but it's not far." The Langdon's did not have a cottage!

"So give me the address and I'll show up at 9." We waited with pen in hand.

"It's not far, but kind of difficult to describe. Why don't we meet somewhere? Say the McDonalds off US-1. I can get a ride there." Damn! This made things more complicated. The doctor looked at me with raised eyebrows. I tried to think fast. We had no choices really, so I nodded to the doctor.

"Sure, no problem. I'll be there in a few minutes before 9. Just have to get my things together."

They hung up.
"We have to hide in your car, I hope it's not a compact."

"It's a Suburban. You can hide in the back, we can put a tarp or something over you. It even has tinted windows"

The doctor got his bag, and we hurried into the garage. Mrs. Jennings kissed her husband and told him to be careful, then she surprised us by hugging Mark and I, asking us to take care of her husband. As we crawled in Mark called Rebecca. They were a few block away, so Mark told them to head over to McDonalds, but not show themselves, and then follow us at a distance.

"And don't call while we are in the car!"

To be safe we turned the ring signals off on our phones. The doctor and his wife spread an old rug over us over Mark and me and closed the trunk. Once we were concealed the doctor opened the garage door and backed out. We couldn't see anything. After a while the car slowed down, and the doctor said.

"We're there. Frank's already here. Don't say anything." The doctor rolled down his window and called to Frank, who got into the passenger seat, greeting the doctor.

"So where are we going, Frank?"
"Just turn onto the US-I southbound. I'll direct you."

We had no way of knowing where we were going or if Rebecca was tailing us. The doctor and Frank were chatting, Frank did not appear suspicious. We soon turned off the highway and finally drove a mile or so on what appeared to be a gravel road with potholes. Maybe a driveway?