Chapter 16

As soon as I was back in my room, I brushed off the tears and stood up straight. It was just one paper, I could get past this. I stood in front of the mirror in the bathroom and wiped away all of my makeup. It felt alot better when my face could breathe. I stared at myself facially naked in the mirror.

Jack had changed alot about me. Ever since I started dating him, it was as if I needed to look prettier everyday for him to love me. I never wore anything but concealer and mascara before and now I was piling on foundation, blush and lipstick. I never cared about clothes before but now I felt pressure to wear pretty things. I never cared about my figure but now I hated my curves. But he never told me I wasn't pretty enough. He ran his fingers through my hair when he kissed me and told me I was beautiful. It was as if it wasn't enough for me.

It was so hard to love someone when you weren't loving yourself.

I spent the rest of my time studying and rereading the words in my book that I'd already gone over at least ten times. Jack banged at the door and I jumped. "Just a second!" I yelled as I ran to the bathroom and sloppily brushed my face with foundation in two seconds to try to hide my puffy red eyes. I opened the door and was smiled at Jack like nothing was wrong. 

"Soooo... what'd you get?" he asked while lacing his hands behind my back. I couldn't tell him the truth. It would only upset him and I don't think I needed pity right now. "A 90!" I squealed with fake glee. 

"Scar, that's amazing! Where do we go to celebrate?" he said while lacing his arms around my back. 

"We certainly can't go to a bar that's for sure. I have my internship meeting tommorow, remember?" I didn't tell him it was my last. 

"Then let's stay right here." he whispered as his lips came crashing into mine again. I closed my eyes, wishing so badly that i could just enjoy this moment. But there were too many things on my mind right now. It felt so right, but I couldn't do this. Not now. I pulled away from the kiss slowly. "What's wrong?" he asked, grabbing my hands. "I'm just tired. It's okay. Go to sleep, I'll be fine, I promise." 

"Okay, whatever you want. I'll always be there for you, Scar. No matter what happens, you can tell me anything. " He planted a tiny kiss on my forehead and gave my hands one last squeeze. I watched him leave. His words just made me feel worse lying to him. 

......

All of the students just like me were gathered in the hospital waiting room. The young instructor started to recite today's program. "All right, for today we are going to be doing something a little different. Since alot of our patients will not be home for the holidays, you all are going to be visiting a selected patient and talk to them a bit. Yes, this isn't medicine related but alot of these patients don't have families to come visit them so you might just make someone's day." We all nodded and I listened for my name to see which patient I would be visiting. "Maudshire: Edison, Room 127."

I went down the rows of hospital rooms until I reached my assigned room. In the bed, sat a  little girl of about 8. She had no hair on her head and looked frail and weak. My file said she had been diagnosed with lung cancer from breathing in second hand smoke in the home. "Hi... Bailey, my name is Scarlett." I looked down to read her name. She looked up from the ipad she had been playing and stared at me for a few moments with big brown eyes. I looked around at all the One Direction posters plastered on the walls and thought of Cara and Aliza. "So you like 1D, huh?" 

"Yep. And Harry Styles is my boyfriend!" She sat straight up and jumped up and down when I mentioned them. I was surprised by how strong she was, I could only imagine what she was going through, and I giggled at her response. "I bet he is, Bailey." 

"Do you have a boyfriend, Scarlett?" I was taken aback by her question but I still muttered "Yeah, I do. His name is Jack." 

"Did he give you that?" Bailey asked, pointing to the snowflake necklace that had switched places with my old dove one and reaching out to touch it. "Here, let me." I unclasped it and put it into her tiny, quivering hand. She marveled at it for a few seconds and then looked back up at me. "I hope that one day someone will love me as much as Jack loves you." I flushed bright red and then looked straight into her pretty chocolate eyes. "I know you will." I said it without a single doubt in my mind.

We spent the rest of the evening talking about One Direction and how she loved to try on the makeup her nurses lent her and the clothes that she sometimes recieved from the flea market. I told her about how I was going to be a doctor. I asked her about her parents and her home and it was as if she turned to stone. I looked down at my papers and realized that her parents had died in a car crash when she was three and she had been living in the hospital since her first memories. We never brought it up again. My watch beeped and I realized that it had already been 2 hours and my time with Bailey was up. I gathered my stuff and said my goodbyes. 

Just before I left the room, she called my name and I turned around. "Will you come back?" She murmered. And even though I was probably never going to see her again, I still said "Yes. Of course I will. " I gave her a big smile and she returned it. I left the room, thinking 'How could one little girl change me for good?'

A/N: Hey, guys! this chapter was one of the hardest i've had to write so I hope you liked it! I don't know much about cancer so I am really sorry if I said something wrong. Anyways, i'm going to sleepaway camp next week so there wont be any chapters for like the next ten days Camp is 6 days long so I'll get the whole plan for the next chapter while I'm there so I can come home and quickly write and publish it for you guys:) Thanks for reading!!!