Chapter Three

I struggled to finish my homework. I couldn't stop thinking about the lady this afternoon... Who was she? How did she know me? How does she know my mom? When my homework was finished, I headed to the kitchen to get some more orange juice. It was getting late, and my mom was expected at any time now. She had a lot of explaining to do.

I was watching TV when my mom walked through the front door with a huge smile on her face. Which was unusual. She was usually exhausted... I stood up and went to give her a hug.

I could hear her sniff. Then she walked over to the holder on the kitchen counter and opened it. "I can see Candy was here."

"Are you referring to the lady that never stops smiling?" I said.

My mother laughed. "Yes. Why do you seem so...offended?"

"Because apparently, I'm supposed to know her," I said throwing my hands in the air.

"Don't you?" My mother asked as she started preparing dinner.

I shook my head. She looked at me in confusion. "That's strange..."

"Why?"

"Well, come to think of it. You haven't seen her for years..."

"Is she some long lost relative?"

My mother laughed. "Come and make the salad." I walked around her and started cutting up cucumber pieces.

"May I ask why you came in here smiling?" I asked.

A big smile formed of her face again and she replied, "Well, I have good-no, great news."

I stopped cutting and turned my face to look at her. This can't be good... If we are moving, I'm going to run away!

She kept on smiling and said, "Amber Collins can't make the next conference. So they asked me."

My eyes grew bigger. "Mom, that's great news!" I gave her a side hug. My mother works for MAB. Marketing At Best. Organizations and popular businesses use MAB to advertise their products. So they hold a conference over a long period of time each year and allow us to sell our products. My mother has done this once before, and it pays a lot.

"I know, right? And that's not the best part! MAB is holding the conference on a cruise ship this year and everything is paid for! We leave on Friday."

I stopped cutting a tomato and turned to look her in the eyes. A cruise?  Do WE leave on Friday? For how long? Do I have to go with? Can't they get someone else to go? She smiled back at me, but it slowly disappeared when she noticed that I am unhappy. She looked down and sighed.

"Talk to me."

"Mom, you can't expect me to go? What about school?"

My mother looked up and started laughing uncontrollably. "Now you're worried about school?"

I ignored the question because it was true. I was just looking for an excuse not to go... "What about my friends? My social life?" I started talking louder now.

"They will be here when you get back."

I sighed. "How long will we be gone?" I said softer.

"Only a week."

"What's the name of the ship?"

"The Harmony of the Seas."

I nodded slowly. I started biting my lip, trying to think of an excuse...

After a long moment of silence, my mom said, "I know you don't like things like this, but just for once, do something for me..." She turned and continued making dinner.

The week went by and there was no arguing in the fact that we were going on a cruise. When I told Jane and Dylan, they were ecstatic. Dylan kept trying to cheer me up by convincing me of how great this trip could be. The only good thing so far was Wi-Fi... I just continued to sigh and in between homework, I started packing.