Chapter 11 The Interrogation

Rhett awoke suddenly to the sound of someone bangng loudly at the front door. He glanced at the clock, his eyelids heavy with sleep. It was 12:34 AM. Who would be at his door at this time of night? Rhett hopped out of bed, sort of fell, actually, and stumbled down the stairs. He opened the door and saw two police officers, one man and one woman. The man spoke first.

 "Are you Rhett Mclaughlin?" he asked, sternly.

 "Yes, I am," Rhett replied groggily.

 "I'm Officer Johnson and this is Officer Clarkson,' he said pointing at himself and the woman with him,' We would like to take you into the station and ask you some questions." 

"What about?" Rhett asked confusedly.

"Amber Wilson was filed to be missing today. Some anonymous callers said they saw you and a Charles Neal with her. We need to bring you in. We also have to bring in Charles, but he is currently in the hospital, so we will wait," Officer Johnson said. "Please turn around." Rhett did so and felt two, cold metal bands snap around his wrists as he was handcuffed. "You are just being brought in to answer some questions, but we have to cuff you just in case you tried to run," he said and then he led Rhett to the back of the car.

Rhett couldn't believe this. Link and he did not kidnap Amber, they were just helping her. Rhett would have said something, but I thought it wise not to until they interrogated him. Rhett sat in the car and waited. He was a bit afraid, but he was also confused and upset. He wasn't going to let his emotions get to him, though. He didn't want to looe his temper at a police station. 

Once they arrived, they brought Rhett into a room with a table and a chair. A few different police officers were waiting for him already.

"Hello Mr. McLaughlin. Sorry to bring you in here at such an early hour, but I don't want to be here either, so please just tell us the truth and it'll be easier for all of us," who Rhett guessed was the captain said. "Now, Mr. McaLaughlin, Amber Wilson was reported missing by here parents and we were informed you and a Mr. Charles Neal were reported seen with her. If you didn't kidnap her, why didn't you report you found a missing child?" The Captain asked me.

"Charles is my best friend, he goes by Link; he was taking a walk in the park when he found her. He asked if she needed help. She told him that she ran away. He was going to tell the police, but she begged him not to. She said her parents abused her and she didn't want to go back. He believed her. He took her out to breakfast and then brought her to his house. He then called me and I met her. We decided to make lunch, but while we were doing that, his kitchen caught on fire. I got out as quickly as I could, but Amber was stuck in the bathroom, the door had jammed. Link came outside as well, but he immediately ran back in to help Amber. As he was coming out with her, he fell and broke his knee caps. Amber was unconscious and soon Link fainted as well. They were both taken to the hospital. When Amber fainted, she hit her head and cracked it open. She needed a blood transfusion and Link offered. We didn't kidnap her, and you can check with the hospital and see my story is true," Rhett said and yawned.

"We already have and that's what they told us. Thank you Rhett. That cleared things up for us. We will let you go now and also, we'll look into Amber's case of alleged abuse. Thank you again," the captain said and left. The two officers who brought Rhett in then drove him home. He was so relieved to go to sleep for another few hours. This was a crazy day. He hoped tomorrow would be better.