1 • The Day He Died

Aryana Catlau is just a small innocent child, walking through a field of flowers on top of a mountain and enjoying her life. Her mother watches her from under the tall oak tree in the distance. Aryana can smell the nice scent of roses and petunias as she walks through the beautiful meadow on the tall mountain. There is a road nearby where the vagabonds walk and the automobiles drive, small Aryana likes to watch these trucks and cars go by for it calms her. She walks back up to where her mom was sitting beneath the tall oak tree. They were content and happy. Aryana's father was currently working to provide food for the small family of three, for food was scarce in their little town in the country. Aryana and her mother quietly enjoyed sandwiches and admired the view. They then heard something that startled them. It was a very loud red car coming down the road, it looked as if it was slightly out of control. It looked like Aryana's father's car. Aryana's mother was worried that it was her dear husbands car as it came down the road at a faster speed. Aryana recognized the man in the car and screamed for him to stop, but all attempts failed. She almost got up and ran to her father's car but her mother was quick enough to grab her. The car spun out of control and crashed into some rocks nearby. Aryana screamed and yelled for her father but her mother held her back. Aryana finally managed to escape her mothers grasp and ran towards her fathers damaged red car; Her mother followed quickly behind. Her mother told Aryana to stay with her father while she ran for help; Aryana obeyed and held her fathers hand while he slowly lost breath.

         By the time Aryana's mother came back with help her father was dead and had no chance of being brought back to life. Aryana and her mother left her father and the red car behind as they slowly walked home. They grieved all day and all night for Aryana's dead father, they were miserable for the next three months. Aryana's mother would barely pay attention to her and she would zone out while doing normal things. Aryana's mother barely went to the market because they had so little money to pay for food. Aryana's mom couldn't provide for her daughter anymore, even with her small job at the restaurant downtown. They couldn't afford a new car either, so they had no choice but to walk everywhere. Aryana was often left at home by herself while her mother was at work. Aryana had to learn how to tend the animals in their yard and eventually learned to love the sheep, the goats, and the pigs. Even when Aryana and her mother sold all of the food they were making from the sheep, the cows, and the pigs, it still wasn't enough to provide for them both. Aryana's mother eventually decided to drop her daughter off at the orphanage out of town, in the city. Aryana's mom could no longer provide for small Ary and left her there alone. Aryana was sorrowful and depressed for the next few months. Small Aryana didn't understand that they were struggling financially and wondered why her mother would ever give her up. These thoughts sat in the back of Aryana's mind for many years to come. One thing is for sure, Aryana will never forget the day her father died.