Coming Back Again

The sound of soft crying immediately caught my attention as I fought my way through the thick darkness, struggling to force myself awake and to soothe whoever was clinging to my hand like their lives depends on it. As

I opened my eyes the harsh, bright sunlight pouring in immediately blinded me and tore a groan from me as I blinked against the burning blurriness. 

“Sabian?!” Cried a soft unbelieving voice followed by the sound of a chair scooting across a tiled floor. Frowning I looked to the sound and found Emileah staring down at me with swirling dark steel colored eyes rather than her normal bright metallic colored ones. Her eyes were red rimmed and dark circles hung heavily beneath them as she stared down at me in disbelief, tears still rolling freely across her cheeks.

“Emi.” I said quietly going to push myself up and pull her into my arms wanting desperately to erase those tears but pain blinded me as it racked my entire body forcing me back onto the bed.

“Don’t move!” she cried quickly as she moved to my side once more placing her hands on my chest as if to restrain me. Looking to her once more as she crouched beside me now her body so close to mine that I could feel the warmth of her surrounding me now. “I’m going to get the doctor.” She said as she stood and began to pull away but I immediately caught her hand and jerked her back to me so her body was pressed against mine. I ignored her protests and those painful protests of my body as I pressed my lips to hers in a desperate kiss. I needed to know that this was real; I needed to know that my mind wasn’t making all of this up to satisfy me, but even my dreams were nothing like kissing the real Emileah. Heat tore through me as she melted against me her hands clutching my hair tightly to hold me to her as she kissed me hungrily, drinking my in as if I were the very thing that she needed to live. “I was so afraid Sabian.” She cried as she tore her lips from mine and shook her head panting heavily. “You lost so much blood. You died twice while they were trying to fix you and the doctors swore you weren’t going to make it and it was only a matter of time before your body gave up trying to heal itself.”

Her words forced me back to reality as the last thing I had seen before collapsing registered to me. “Zariah!” I cried pushing against her trying once more to get up needing to find out just what the hell had happened to my brother.

“No!” she said shaking her head as she tried to hold me into place. “Zariah is fine! He wasn’t hurt. Unconscious yes but other than that he is fine!”

“Aidan didn’t take him?” I asked my eyes meeting hers once more praying that she wasn’t lying to me now.

“No. Aidan didn’t take anyone.”

“Where are they?” I asked looking around the room completely registering now that we were completely alone.

“Your sister forced them all to go home. They had been here for days not eating or sleeping.”

“Days?” I asked frowning, “Just how long have I been out?”

“About two weeks.” She explained quietly and it was my turn to gape up at her. Two weeks?! It had been that bad?!

“And you? Have you been eating and sleeping?” I managed to force out as I turned my attention to her fully once more. Examining her a little closer now, those bags under her eyes had to be from sheer exhaustion, and the close I looked the more I felt the exhaustion radiating from her. She tore her eyes from mine to the floor guiltily which gave me my answer right away. “Of course you haven’t.” I said shaking my head forcing myself to keep the growl out of my voice. I couldn’t say that I would be any better if the situations were reversed but I couldn’t help but worry about her.