Hiraeth

The words came from her mouth as if she had practiced them for hours. So beautifully heartless. Theres nothing really I could say to that, so I didn't say anything at all. I sat there, drawing tiny circles in the snow with my finger, knees tucked into my chest. I could feel them. I could feel the tiny, fragile snowflakes hitting my nose and my hand. I wondered if she felt them too. If she could feel them on her eyelashes and on her bottom lip. If she could feel them in the same way I saw them. So ineffably. I also wondered if we took the time to look at every snowflake thats falling currently, would we eventually find an identical pair?  I guess I'll never know.

"Why do you hate so many things?" I look over at her as she speaks. She doesn't bother looking back. She's still staring at the building across the street.

"Why do you care?" I dragged my hands down my calves so hard it almost burned and rested my forehead on my knees, staring at the ground in between the heels of my sneakers. She didn't answer. Maybe it's because she didn't have one, or maybe because she didn't feel the need to answer. "I thought we agreed that it was because the entire world is a shit-hole." I'm suddenly very hungry.

"You don't really believe that, do you?" I looked up at her as she spoke. She turned her head to me. "I mean, yeah, so many things suck. Taxes, snowmen, and Mr. Mulronney. But you can't honestly tell me that the entire world is a shit-hole."

"It's not." I replied.

"Then my question still stands."

"I don't have an answer. I simply do."

"Find a better answer." She stood up slowly, not taking her eyes off of the building across the street. I stood up too although I'm not sure why. She took out a pack of cigarettes and a lighter. She didn't come across as a smoker but then again, my mother doesn't come across as a prostituted drug addict yet I'm pretty sure that's what she is. I watched her as she brought the cigarette up to her mouth, holding it between her lips as she lit it. She gave me a side glance and then extended the open pack to me, I'm assuming to offer me one. I took one. I don't know why. I don't smoke, never have. But I took one and just held it. I didn't light it or anything, I put it in my pocket and moved on.

"Why are you here?" I asked, turning to sit on the nearby bench. I was hesitant at first glance because it's remarkably old and will probably fall apart soon, but my legs were tired and the ground was quite cold.

"Where?" She responded.

"Here. This street, the town, this school. No one ever comes here and if they do it's by accident." I glanced over at her, watching her dark red-brown hair blow angrily in her face. She noticed it too. She flipped her hair over to one side as she grinned at me.

"This street? Because of that building." She nodded in the direction of the building she'd previously been staring at. "This town? Because it's hard to find on a map. This school? Well there's only one school for me to go to."

"Yes but why'd you move in the first place?"

She laughed slightly as her whole body turned away from me.

"We don't know each other well enough for that yet."

And with that, she left.