Cheers to the New Year

December 31
*****
It was a cold, chilly December night. Don arrived around 8:30pm, a little late having to stop by to pick up red roses as a surprise for his lovely wife.

"Darling, I'm home! Where are you?" He yelled, removing his coat.

"In the kitchen cooking! Come join me, honey." Meryl shouted back.

Walking into the kitchen with the roses behind his back, "No need to cook, my dear." He said.

"What? Why?" She asked with a confused look on her face.

"Tell me darling, when was the last time we had a date? Just you and me."He said placing a kiss on her lips.

"I don't recall. A week ago?" Meryl said teasingly and started laughing.

"Well, then.. With that being said.. Mrs. Gummer would you like to go out on a date?" Don said, holding out the roses.

"Oh, Don. I would love to, thank you. These are beautiful!" Meryl said blushing.

"Glad you like them. Be ready by 10:30pm, darling." He said placing a kiss behind her ear.

*****

After taking a warm shower, she decided to blow dry her hair. She then brushed it all back (like her hair at the golden globes 2015) and applied very light makeup. Meryl wanted to look good for her husband and decided to wear a black classy dress with a royal blue coat, black sheer tights, and her red-bottom Louboutin heels.

*****

Don was patiently waiting outside the bathroom door dressed up in a nice black suit, wanting to get a glimpse of his wife. As the door open, he forgot how to breathe. She looked absolutely stunning he thought.

"Oh, Mary. You look beautiful." Don said adjusting his tie.

"Don't lie to yourself." She smirked, patting him on the chest.

"You look absolutely divine, Mary Lou. I certainly cannot wait to devour you after dinner." He said, placing kisses on her neck.

"Oh, Don" she moaned. Loving the feeling of his lips on her skin. "We should get going. I wonder where you're taking me."

"Just wait and see." Don said leading her into the awaiting car.

*****

Little did Meryl know that Don had set up a dinner table on top of a building that overlooked all of New York so she could get to see all the fire works.

"Close your eyes. No peeking." Don said, holding her by the waist, guiding her to the rooftop.

"I won't." Meryl said giggling.

"Open." He said removing her hands from her eyes.

She was in utter shock. The rooftop was lit up with string lights and candles placed in various places. A table set for two was beautifully decorated with a white and red checkered table cloth, a basket of bread, white wine (to be exact), and with the main food course of Tagliatelle pasta covered with cream cheese sauce dashed with a little fresh basil.

"Don.." She had no words. She has never felt so special around any other guy she's dated in the past. "This is beautiful. I love it. Did you do all of this? For me?"

"I had some help, but since it is New Years Eve, I wanted to do something special for you." Don said, pulling her by the waist to kiss.

"You are amazing, Mr. Gummer." Meryl said, her body filling with excitement.

*****

He pulled out her chair for her to sit down. They ate their meal. Later had 'Tiramisu' for dessert. Don was unbelievably grateful to have her as a wife as for he was sure he was the lucky one in their relationship/marriage.

"Look how beautiful the lights are." Meryl said, walking over to the side, her eyes overlooking all of New York.

"Just like you. Always beautiful." He said, wrapping an arm around her waist.

They could see the countdown of the ball drop from where they were standing.

In unison, "10...9...8...7...6...5.." they said staring deeply into each other's eyes, "4..3..2..." .. "1". Don kissed her deeply and passionately pulling her closer. Both smiled as they broke apart the kiss they shared. They really felt a well known spark.

"Happy New Year, baby." He said as he placed a kiss on her forehead.

"Happy New Year, darling." She said as she smiled at him.

Hope you all had a well-celebrated New Year. Sorry if it kinda sucked. I didn't know where this story was going. -Xoxo