PROLOGUE

A LONG TIME AGO IN A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY...

           LIVED a young princess by the name of Katerina Ayres. She had slick brunette hair hanging over her fragile shoulders, a framed face that glowed in the near sunlight, and a certain fire behind her piercing eyes that made her easily targeted by those who despised her. Her mother, Admila Ayres, had sworn to those that she would do everything in her power to protect young Katerina at all costs, to keep the fire within her burning bright, even from a distance. Their family was in turmoil; and Admila Ayres needed to act fast if she was to save Katerina's future.

            The powerful family harbored a secret that no other royal bloodline contained. Something so terrifying that only Admila could be the one to share the news with Katerina. If Katerina didn't take the news well, it would be said that the family would be in sheer danger. But Admila knew her daughter better than anyone else. She knew Katerina would do anything it took to save her people. Even if it meant destroying others. She was unsure how to break the news to her, but Admila had little to no time left, and it only just occurred to her that she had to tell the young girl before everything turned to dust.

Said Katerina sat in her quarters, looking out the window as time ticked by incessantly. Her mother rushed into the room hurriedly, shooing away the maids and others that flocked around vicariously. Katerina spun around, noticing her mother in such a frenzy before questioning in a small voice, "Mother? I hate to ask, but are you all right?"

Admila attempted to smile at her beautiful daughter who had grown so much since she had held her in her arms last. The mother couldn't help but nearly let out a sob, but she knew that if she began crying, she would never be able to contain herself and guide Katerina. Katerina, unfortunately, had a third sense for sadness around her, and she could detect it teeming off of her mother. But instead of letting Katerina know of the limited amount of time she had left, she responded quickly, "No, no, Katerina. I am alright. Although, I must talk to you about something. Please, come sit down," Admila patted the seat on the leather chair beside her. Worriedly, the Ayres girl sat down beside the aforementioned woman, eyes flitting over her mother's pale body.

              "What is it?" Katerina questioned, her voice dropping an octave lower than usual.

              "Your father and I had always hoped that we wouldn't have to discuss it with you until you were ready, my dear Katerina. But it seems that our time is up, so we must explain everything to you before we leave. You need to understand what I am about to tell you, my darling. I need you to understand," Admila was practically begging at this point, and Katerina nodded almost immediately in response. Taking a deep breath, Admila began her tale.

             "My father before me, as you know, was one of great importance to the galaxy. He helped defeat multiple enemies that dared to invade, helped to carry along a legacy of Ayres. Without him, I believe we wouldn't have much left. Now as for your father, Katerina, his father before him was also a master of the galaxy. One who brought balance, peace, and a new hope. A Jedi. I'm sure you must have heard the term elsewhere, either from Padmé or commoners. And if you've heard that, you must know that the compelling power of a Jedi is depended on your midi-chlorian count. Mine's is larger than 10,000. But, yours, my dear, is 20,000. We are all force sensitive. Your father is a notable Jedi. I, myself, am a Jedi. And you, my darling Katerina, are a Jedi. You are strong with the force. I can feel it. You will be the one to help save us from this war looming upon us. You are the last chance."

               "Mother," Katerina exhaled a deep breath, her heart sinking below her feet as she disgusted the words into her brain. She could hardly believe what she was hearing, let alone act upon it. "I-I can't be a Jedi. There is no way that I can be powerful—"

              "There is a way, Katerina! There is a way! I will make sure that you will get the training you need, everything you need to help you succeed," Admila gripped her daughter's hands in her own cold ones, pleading with the frightened girl. "I have enlisted a master that will help you train with the Force, with another Jedi named Obi-Wan. You will be alright, I promise you, my dear."

               "Mother, I can't—"

              "You must, Katerina! You are the last chance, the Jedi we have been waiting for. You will restore peace into the galaxy, you will save thousands of people. Just as you had intended to do as queen. Just as you will," Admila added on, looking into the remorseful eyes of her daughter. Katerina felt as if the world was spinning on its axis. She couldn't think with all the wrong thoughts circling her system.

"I was training to be a queen, Mother! Not one of the Jedi! I must proclaim myself as queen. I have been promised royalty my whole life, I mustn't step down from my reign," Katerina stood up off the couch, pacing the room in a quick-paced manner. Her mother watched with weary eyes. "How can a princess like myself be a Jedi? This is impossible!"

              "It's not impossible! It's a secret our family's bloodline had been hiding for years, my dear. It is all as true as can be. I need you to understand for me, please tell me you understand!" Admila stood up off the couch, gripping her daughter's shoulders and forcing Katerina to face her mother. "Please. Katerina, save the ones you love. They need you. Your people need you. You will become the most powerful Jedi, but only with perseverance and courage. I believe you can do this."

"Can I do this?" Katerina muttered, looking into the eyes of her mother, waiting for a response that would change her entire future, the one that had been prepped and planned since the day of birth. It would all burn to ashes now with the fire of her power.

"Yes, yes you can, Katerina. You will," Admila pressed a chaste kiss to her forehead, rubbing her shoulders soothingly, "You have so much power, my dear."

              "Then I must save my people. I will resign as Jedi. If this is what I must do, then I will," Katerina inhaled a shaky breath, and with a small smile, Admila brought the girl in for a short-lived hug. One that held more promise than one ever before. The promise that Katerina would bring peace to the galaxy. The promise that her courage would help her save the others. The promise that her newfound powers would help her obliterate enemies.

              Katerina Ayres was more powerful than she could ever know, the fire that was within her burning brighter than something ever known. Her strength can only lead her to victory, to a new hope. The young girl had only just realized that it was now up to her, with her courage, to save her home from utter doom. Although Katerina was weak-minded in the moment, she knew she had to step up to the pedestal, and accept the person she truly was. Only a queen could perform such actions.

              Long may she reign.