Rylen

The ping of my intercom woke me up, only making me dread the day more. Today was the day that I was to be married to some random guy that the Society had chosen because apparently that was socially acceptable. I looked at my watch, 6:15. That gave me exactly one hour to say my goodbyes to Calix, and hide all of my valuables that would be taken once I was married. I slowly got out of bed, trying to make as little noise as possible, and pulled on a simple pair of jeans and a blue t-shirt. I didn't want to put any effort into looking nice for whoever I was supposed to marry. I wanted them to know that I resented them, that I would only make life hard for them. Feeling around my room, I grabbed my bag and started shoveling my possessions into it. I put my bracelet from my best friend, Bryn, into my bag, stalling tears as I thought of how I would never see her again, of how I watched her get beat to death when we were only fourteen, simply for sneaking out to see me. It was my entire fault. I should have been the one to die. I pushed the tears away and continued packing conscious of my time left. I finished by putting the picture of me and Calix into my bag, and I noticed that a small piece of paper had fallen from it. I picked it up, never remembering putting it there, and I unfolded it.

Rylen,

Be careful. Stay safe for me please. Once you get married, your life will be a prison. They are going to try to make you forget everything you have ever known so you will be compliant to your husband, and believe me, they will be super careful with you, seeing how many times you have already broken the rules. I am not sure how they are going to take your memories. Sometimes it is a daily "vitamin" other times it is a daily "blood test" that they say is to check your nutrition. It changes from one person to another. You need to figure it out fast, otherwise you will lose everything. You will lose me, Bryn, Calix, your family. Everything. This is important, and I need you to listen. You don't know me yet, but I am here to help you. You will hopefully find more of these letters from me, and clues to help you get out of this mess. This is dangerous, no matter what route you decide to take. I pray you will decide to listen to me. Keep breaking rules. It may be the only thing that will keep you alive.

With love.

I dropped the note with disbelief. I didn't understand. Who would have given me this? Who knew about Calix or Bryn? How did they know this? I folded the note and slipped it into the secret compartment in my watch. I was already against the Society, but this note, no matter who it was from, encouraged my hate for them even more. I would do everything in my power to go against them.

I slipped my jacket over my shoulders and then grabbed my bag. As quietly as I could, I opened the window, and then climbed out, leaving it open just enough for me to be able to get back in, and then I ran. Fifteen minutes later, I found Calix waiting in the middle of the park, a grim look on his face. It was his day to get married too.

I ran to him, arms open, tears already filling my eyes, and fell into his embrace.

"Goodbye," I said, not wanting to believe that this was actually it. That instead of getting to marry the love of my life, I would have to marry some stranger that my father chose.

"Stop," he said, "don't say that. This isn't goodbye. No matter what happens, I will never leave you."

"I know, but it won't be the same when we are both, you know." I couldn't bear to say the words. I slipped off my backpack and handed it to Calix.

"What is this?" he asked.

"It's everything I want to keep, that I want to remember," I said, the thoughts of the note running through my mind, "I'm not going to be able to keep anything. They are going to erase my existence from my home. I will not be able to keep anything, but you will. You are going to be the head of the household. Please keep these for me."