Chapter 8

She spent the rest of the coronation day with an innate sense of trepidation, locked away in her chambers with Lyari on the other side of the door. Alais had no other visitors after Eroan left. Orion didn't show his face, nor did Tristan.

Alais slept fitfully that night. She tossed and turned in her furs, unable to stay asleep for long. When she did sleep, her dreams were filled with visions of golden circles and blackened veins. Her coronation and subsequent betrothal had pushed her dreams to the back of her mind; it was only when she was alone at night that she remembered the ethereal Elythia and her prophecies. Every time she woke, her fists were clenched and her body was drenched in sweat.

Before she knew it, dawn appeared on the distant horizon, sending shimmering rays of sunlight into her room. Alais strained open her eyes, and for one glorious moment, forgot what the day signified. With a sickening jolt she remembered.

It was the day she would leave her home for Durmont.

She wasn't permitted any further time for reflection or self pity. Within minutes of dragging herself out of bed, Alais' door flung open, and a dozen maids tottered in. She couldn't muster the strength to ask them what they were doing, though it soon became evident. One by one, they pulled dresses from her wardrobe and folded them delicately into numerous open trunks. Then they packed shoes, cloaks and jewellery into bags and boxes.

'Do you want anything else packing, your highness?' quizzed Mara as she bolted three trunks shut.

Alais pointed to her bookshelf. 'Anything you can find on there can come with me. There are some quills, ink and parchment in the drawer of my desk too.' Upon hearing herself speak, Alais realised she sounded hollow and defeated. It was a demoralising thought.

Mara held out a bottle green dress and a grey cloak. 'Here, you should change into these. They'll be comfy enough for the journey.' If Alais didn't know any better, she'd say Mara was fighting back tears. Perhaps she was lamenting the loss of a promotion to wait on a princess.

With no fight left in her, Alais did as she was told. Mara helped her lace up the intricate threads at the back, and found ankle boots and a fur scarf to add to the ensemble. A quick glance out of the window told her snow had fallen last night: it was to be a cold journey.

'When am I leaving? No-one's told me anything.'

At that point, Lyari strode into the room, already wrapped up in her own furs. 'The White Guard arrived an hour ago, and they're keen to leave, not that they've said much at all... It's a two day journey to the Durmont border. I think the Chanson brothers and Lucian are waiting downstairs, so you'd best get moving.'

Mara fastened the clip of the cloak around Alais neck, and she was ready to leave. The other maids carried out the trunks one by one, leaving only the three women in the room. Mara dropped into a deep curtsey. 'It's been an honour serving you, your highness, even if it was only for a short period of time.'

With an idea in mind, Alais approached her. 'If you could come with me, would you?'

The maid's eyes lit up, making her look younger than her twenty-six years. 'Yes, of course. I'd follow you anywhere.'

'Then go pack a trunk, you're coming with us.' Alais was going to need all the allies she could get in Durmont, she just hoped that a solider, a maid and a tutor were enough. 'Meet us in the courtyard in ten minutes.' Mara hurried out of the door with a wide, proud smile.

'That was good of you,' said Lyari. 'I heard her saying last night about how much she wished she was going too. Apparently she has no family here to keep her.'