I have friends... Does my mom count?

Caitlyn Ortiz Del Toro. Seventeen years old, five-feet four inches, 113lbs. What makes me so different from the rest of my classmates? Oh yeah, I have zero friends. None. Nada. I'm weird, aren't I?

I mean, it's not a bad thing. I get all the time I want when I want it, and I don't have to face any drama at all. It's my choice. Ha!

Okay I give up. There's a little pest in my head called 'social anxiety'. As much as I want to make a friend, I-I just can't. Every time someone asks me to do or say something, I suddenly freak out and begin overthinking the multiple outcomes of the situation, and pick which one will be the best. While that goes on, I feel light headed. It's like the room suddenly got smaller.

"Caitlyn, hon , you shouldn't be wearing a jacket today. It's going to get hot later." My mother warned as she passed me my buttered toast.

"Yeah, but you know, the weather is bipolar sometimes..." I weakly laughed. To be honest, my gray jacket is my only safety blanket from the world. I can't live without it.

Clock was ticking, and I realized I was going to be late if I don't leave by now. I kissed my mom goodbye and headed to the bus stop. Our house wasn't so far from my school, so instead I decided to walk it. It took me about 23 minutes arrive there and 3 buckets of sweat to endure.

"She was right... They have A.C. in the classrooms, right?" I said to myself as a pressed the stoplight button.

"Chyeah, I hope so."

My body tensed. Who said that? I felt a presence towering over me. Who is it? Kidnapper? Murderer? Rapist?!

Wait a minute, I'm near school block. It's probably a student. Even worse.

"Actually...I was wondering if you could direct me to Oak Valley High--I'm kinda lost." He's asking me for directions for my High School. Should I let him follow me? Nah.

"W-well, uhh just go straight and take a right onoakandyoullseetheschool." I mumbled the rest like it was perfectly normal. Ooh, the sign says to walk.

"Take a right on what?" He asked again. Can he not hear me? I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

"A right on Oak and you'll see the--!" Before I can even take a second glance, a bug red truck was coming at me at full speed. Its horns shouted to get out of the way, but I couldn't move my body. This my death. Death by a Coca-cola truck. I know mom always told me I'll regret drinking them, but this wasn't what i thought she meant. I expected a cold, hard hit on the gritty cement, but instead I was caught on something much softer...It smelled nice too. I had a grip on something that felt hard...and muscular?

"Wow, a real fuckin' asshole!" The guy yelled to the truck driver which was probably miles away now. "Are you alright?" His voice was soft and gentle, which was reassuring to my ears. He reminded me of someone...someone I haven't seen in years. I held my grip tighter on his arms and shook my head furiously.

"A 'yes', I suppose. Here, let me help you up." This is the first time in 7 years I've been this close to a boy...a very handsome boy. What is he? Asian? Korean? Chinese? He's so tall too...aND wAY too close to me!

Still caught in his grip, I thought he stood there for a minute to make sure I was alright, but then I noticed his foot was tapping the ground.