Some Interesting Facts and Rituals of Makar Sankranti

Finally, the wait is over! We all are going to ring in the New Year 2016! January, the first month of the calendar brings many celebrations along with it, Makar Sankranti is one of them.

Makar Sankranti also referred to as Sankranti, Sakarat, Makara Sankranti and many more, is one of the auspicious days as per Hindu calendar. It is celebrated with great pomp and show in almost all parts of India.

Have you recalled your childhood memories wherein mommy awakened you early in the morning and forced you to take the bath? After that, you were asked to touch one of the heaps of rice. Yes, Makar Sankranti is the festival on which all these rituals are performed. If you have forgotten all those rituals, keep reading as we are going to give you a brief detail about this celebration along with some quirky facts that will blow up your mind!

When is Makar Sankranti celebrated?

Almost all Hindu festivals are celebrated according to the position of the moon. They fall on a particular day and date as per lunar calendar. Hence, the dates of the festivals never remain same but change every year. The interesting fact about Makar Sankranti is that it falls on the same date every year as it follows the solar calendar.

But, once every eighty years, there occurs a slight difference. The festival is extended by one day. Every year, Makar Sankranti falls on 14th January (at times on 15th). In 2016, it is going to be celebrated on 15th January.

Why is it referred to as Makar Sankranti?

According to astrological facts on this day, the Sun enters the sun-sign of Capricorn (in Hindi Makara), hence the name 'Makar'. The word 'Sankranti' stands for the movement of the sun from one zodiac sign to another, hence the name of the celebration signifies the movement of the sun into Capricorn.

One Festival, Many Names

Although, we all know it by one name 'Makar Sankranti', the celebration however is a harvest festival and is rejoiced all over India, from North to South and East to West. Based on regions it is known as Pongal, Lohri, Maghi, Uttarayan and Khichdi.

Sesame and Jaggery (Til and Gud)

Makar Sankranti is synonymous with Til and Gud (sesame and jaggery). The til and gud laddoos or chikkis are savoured on this auspicious day as part of a ritual. Generally, people accompany savouring these traditional desserts with "Til-gud ghya ani gud gud bola". It means 'eat sesame and jaggery and utter sweet words'.

As the celebration falls in winter, eating sesame and jaggery provides wholesome benefits to the body. They are said to have beneficial properties, which keep the body warm.

One of the Revered Days for Pilgrimage

Come Makar Sankranti and Kumbh Mela in Uttar Pradesh begins. Contrary in south India's Kerala, the day signifies the ending of the most difficult and challenging pilgrimage of Shabrimala. It is said that taking a dip in the holy rivers on the auspicious day of Makar Sankranti cleanses every sin.

Common Rituals and Traditions

On this auspicious day, people get up early in the morning and take a holy bath. They wear new clothes, share sweets and gifts among loved ones. People are seen offering alms and clothes to poor as part of the ritual.