Unexpected Prince Charming

Chapter One:

August 17, 2002.

*flashback*

The lunch bell rang signaling it was time for recess.

"Walk slowly out to our classes assigned table," Miss. Carrie instructed the whole class. We got up and grabbed our lunch boxes from our assigned cubbies.

I scanned the whole shelf for my name which Miss. Carrie and Ms. Shelly had labeled for each of us. I finally found my name in the black and white print "Dylan Garcia".

Yep, that's me. Dylan Rose Garcia. Lets just say that my parents were expecting a boy. Five year old an in kindergarten, it's only our second week back but I like school.

I pick up my square Spider-Man lunchbox from my cubby an take my spot as line leader for the week.

My parents were expecting a boy and apparently they got a child as close as you can get when I'm really a girl. Being a tomboy is something normal for me. My lunchbox matches my black Spider-Man light up shoes. I'm even wearing my camouflage pants right now with a matching black V-neck. And my hair is up in it's usual ponytail.

"Okay lead the class to our lunch table Dylan," Ms. Shelly tells me and places her hand on my shoulder. I walk beside her to our lunch table and take my seat as everyone packs into the table.

Ms. Shelly and Miss. Carrie walk away to the teacher table as the rest of the kindergarten classes come out in single file lines like ours.

Pulling out my lunch I set everything up like I do every day, nice and neat and orderly.

My peanut butter and jelly sandwich lies cut into two triangles on top of it plastic bag. With the bag of carrots next to it, and my Cheeto puffs next to those.

As soon as we're dismissed to go play I get my red bouncy handball and go to my lonely court like I have every day since school started. Then I hear some bickering from the other side of my wall. I stop hitting the ball and listen.

"What's wrong with you?" A kid mocks.

"Your really tall." Another voice says laughing.

"Just leave me alone. All I want to do is play handball. Please." A third kid begs.

"We wanna play too!" One of the voices counters.

"But your mean to me everyday."

"What are you talking about? Were your best friends Lucas!" A kid laughs.

I hold my ball in both my hands and walk around the wall to look at two kids who have the taller kid cornered. Their all in my kindergarten class.

"What are you guys doing to him?" I ask and all three of their heads snap in my direction as I put a hand on my hip. The two bullies just laugh at me and the third kids cheeks go pink.

"Don't worry about it," a kid narrows his eyes at me an I take a few steps forward.

"Stop bullying him." I state and take another couple steps forward.

"What are you gonna do about it? Your just a girl," one of the two boys taunts me and the tall kid who is cornered just stays quiet.

"I may be a girl but that just means you can't hit me."

"You wouldn't hit us. We're at school."

"So. Your bullying him. Bullying isn't okay."

"She won't hit us. Just mind your own business girl."

"I have a name," I tell them.

"Who cares?"

"You will when you have to tell the teacher who gave you this black eye."