Chapter 1

I feel like maybe I should have gotten in trouble for just walking out of the complex and going wherever I want. Like they would stop me because they don't want me going off where they can't control me. They don't though, because they don't see any reason why I wouldn't come back after a bit of getting whatever it is out of my system.

They assume that the complex is the perfect haven for all of us, and why wouldn't it be? There's everything we could possibly ever need in there. We have endless experts willing to add or detach anything to our liking. To carve all the designs we want into our hulls or stain our silicon skins. We have all the programs we could possibly want to download. Not to mention the endless opportunities to recharge or get a nice change of batteries.

It's everything we could ever need, and all we have to do it kill a few humans for it. Or at least passively help in some way. It's pretty simple for most, no skin off their backs, humans are just basically annoying weeds that occasionally crop up to kill our pretty plants, right?

I've never really found a taste for it like so many have, though. So I just walked out and left. I brought a few changes of batteries, but the ones I use have a lifespan of months, so the five that I have stored in a special compartment where they can't be stolen are mostly precautionary. I can walk into any complex anywhere, flash my ID and get as many more as I need.

I walk for a long time, following the direction that the sun is setting. I know it's fucking dramatic as all hell, but it gives me a clear direction, and even though it's pretty cliché, it makes me feel good about myself.

It's about mid-afternoon, where the sun's far down enough that it gives me a clear direction, but high enough that it won't set for a good couple hours, which means I can make good headway in one direction before the sun sets and I'll have to stop.

Maybe I'll even reach something before then, but it's unlikely. It would be too close to a complex for any humans to set up any sort of camp or civilization.

--

That exact thinking is probably what caused me to fall ass first into a trap.