prologue

12:00 AM

My eyes flickered over the numbers on my digital alarm clock, heart pounding nearly out of my chest. It was happening again. The beginning of the month, the day everyone dreads. It was now March 1st, meaning that they started tonight. Tonight, when they were in our state. Tonight, when they chose one of us to take part in their tests. My stomach turned at the thought, repulsed. Noises sounded from outside my door, things clanging around in our kitchen. My throat tightened and a lump formed, as I began trembling. They couldn't be here, could they? Not now, at least, right? I at least needed time to prepare. Fingering my comforter, I slowly pulled it off of me, walking on the tips of my toes on the way to reach my door. My eyes watered with fright, my hand shaking as I reached for the doorknob. Slowly, I turned it, opening the door and tip-toeing my way through the hallway until I reached the door to our kitchen. The clashing and clanging continued on, only worrying me more.

I pushed  open the door, walking in. The minute I stepped in the room, the noises ceased, as if on queue. It was as if something - or someone - was watching me, or had sensed me, maybe? I rubbed the sides of my temples, seeing no one in the kitchen. Perhaps I was seeing things? I felt that I was getting too worked up over something that could never possibly happen to me. It was stressing me out beyond proportion, and it was messing with my head. I shook it off, deciding to forget about it and go back to sleep.

I sighed, rubbing my eyes and beginning the trip back to my room. As my toes landed on the soft, fluffy carpeting of my bedroom, I closed the door behind me, making a point to lock it. Exhaling in frustration, I threw myself onto my bed, punching myself in the chin as I yanked the comforter up and around me. I groaned in pain and frustration, my eyes becoming heavy. What had I been worried about in the first place? They were never going to come for me. I was one of thousands of kids in my state alone. I was fine. Nothing  was going to happen to me.

I awoke to a pair of muscular hands wrapped around my throat.