JOANNA

Jennifer looked better than Joanna thought she would.

Obviously, she was ten years older than she'd been last time they saw each other. But her brown hair hadn't thinned or started graying yet. Joanna wondered if she dyed it. She probably did. She owned a hair salon after all.
She was humming and sweeping the floor with a small grin on her rested face. There were creases in the corners of her dark eyes now, little smile lines. Beneath them, it was definitely her: Jennifer Wolfheart.

Joanna felt cold raindrops bursting on her hood and exposed hands. Rain clouded her vision slightly, and she blinked to let the water fall from her eyelashes. "Hey!" she called out. Jennifer heard her, of course, and turned towards her, looking slightly surprised. Joanna stepped into the doorway. She couldn't help feeling a little guilty for dripping water all over the step. "Hi." she said, albeit a little awkwardly, since it felt slightly nerve-wrecking to see her again. Stay strong, she thought to herself encouragingly. Don't falter.

Jennifer's smile had changed. When they were younger, it always looked a little forced and dishonest. Now, although she might have still been faking it, she looked genuinely happy. Maybe she recognizes me, Joanna found herself hoping. She crushed the thought immediately. Jen wouldn't be smiling if she knew who was really standing in her impeccably decorated hair salon.

It smelled like shampoo and chemicals inside.

"Hello! How can I help you?" Jennifer asked with a bright grin. She looked like she was in an obnoxious toothpaste commercial when she did that. Joanna felt compelled to remove her hood, but there was still a doubt inside of her; that she would recognize her and kick her out before letting her talk first. She couldn't let that happen. Not after ten years.

She stepped inside, and water pooled around her drenched canvas shoes. Sorry about this, she wanted to say. I know that you'll have to clean it up yourself, I can help if you want. She didn't. Instead, she just asked the question that she'd asked her so many times as a little girl. "Could you do my hair?" The words were so familiar on her tongue that she felt tears prick her eyes. Thank god she hadn't removed her hood.

"I was just about to close the shop, but I'll stay just for you." Jennifer's mouth opened into another warm grin. Her voice was a little more gravelly than it had when she was 21, worn out from years of use. She even sounded different. Jennifer started to ramble on about turning off the record player, while Joanna tuned her out and went over the plan in the head. If she doesn't remember, she thought to herself, I'll be alone for the rest of my life. She walked over to the nearest chair and lowered herself into it. Her heart was beating too fast now. She stared at the back of Jennifer's head, her short hair that glistened in the lamp's glow. The song came to a stop.

When Jennifer turned around and asked her what she wanted, Joanna figured she'd have to take off her hood at some point. Her hands shook as they pulled back the soaking fabric. She thought maybe Jen's facial expression would change to one of fear and anger, but she didn't seem to recognize anything about her at all. Joanna stared right into the other woman's eyes with as much concentration as she could muster. Jennifer needed to remember.

"Highlights." Just like when we were children. "I want green highlights." When she observed Jen's reaction this time, she saw a flicker of panic in her eyes. Joanna wondered if it was working. Her heart racing, she turned to see her reflection in the flat mirror. She looked tired now. She'd been searching for this woman ever since her memories came back last year. It wasn't easy to find someone who lived in a town as isolated as this one. Barely anyone knew it even existed. She wondered why Jennifer had decided to come here. She'd always been starved for attention, not peace.