Chapter 1

I awaken to a screeching noise. I turn on my side to face my nightstand, my eyes still closed. That stupid alarm clock... I want to sleep. I don't want to get up so early. Lazily, my hand reaches out to swat the top of the alarm clock, but I miss, the ear-bleeding, thought-provoking noise continuing. My eyes open as I squint, and with a balled fist, I smash the top down, which makes it finally shut up.

After rubbing the sleep away, my eyes wander to the red digital numbers. It's only... 9:15. Geez, thanks Aunt Cass. "I bet she intentionally set it that way." I grumble, glaring at the clock.

I roll over sit up, brown orbs now adjusted to the light. They feel a sting, and I notice a gray haze in my room. Did Aunt Cass burn something again? It never happens very often. She's a decent cook who'd rather undercook food than overcook or burn it. This is very odd; I can smell the smoke, thick like a wool blanket.

I get out of bed and catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror, the loose sweats and shirt crinkled, my hair disheveled. Whatever, it's fine. There are more pressing meters to tend to. First, I open the window. It'd be best to have some fresh air to clear out the smoke. But I freeze and swallow hard, when I hear the yowling of a firetruck as it speeds along under my window. Looking outside, I see fires throughout the city. I need to find out what happened while I was asleep. I need to help those people.

I hear a beep, as well as the familiar sound of Baymax being filled with air. "Someone is in trouble," he says calmly, in his never-changing, monotonous voice. Perhaps I should consider adding emotion in his voice program.

The smoke is so thick, I can barely see through it... I instinctively run towards my door, then swing it open. An even thicker cloud of smoke rises, and a coughing fit overcomes me. "Aunt Cass?!" I shout, then turn to look at my robot. God no, I don't want to lose her too.

"Your Aunt is not here." He says. Relieved, I let out a deep breath, then try to take one in, but it only makes my lungs ache.

"Baymax, we need to go!" The door is closed, and something like soft pillows wrap around my body. He drags me over to the window, my legs flailing and pushing against anything in order to move faster. I look over my shoulder. We're almost at the window.

I look at my room one last time. My eyes slowly gaze over the projects I had been working on. Tadashi's side of the room. My computer. Tadashi's hat.

The next few moments go by so quickly, I barely know what happened. Despite my actions, the result was myself hanging from the ledge of my window, Baymax already on the ground, waiting for me. I need that hat, it's the last thing I have that belonged to him.

Groaning, I pull myself up after almost losing my grip. My elbows are on the ledge, and soon, I've popped back in the room. I'm a sweating mess, not just from the heat, but from the pressure; the fear. Flames are eating away at my door. I see it, splintering the wood and burning it away, or making it fall to the ground as other things catch fire. The smoke is thicker than before, so I pull the collar of my shirt above my nose. I grab the hat and hold it tight in my hands. Smoke is filling me, and settling in my lungs. I turn to the window, seeing the blue sky out there. Feeling like a brick, I collapse to the floor. This time, I can't save anyone from the terror that lies outside my window. I can't even save myself. After trying to get myself up, I only fail. I close my eyes. Sleep is already taking hold of me.

Letting out a deep breath, I allow peace to come over me.

What do I see? Nothing.

What do I taste? Smoke.

What do I smell? Smoke.

What do I hear? A shout from below, as well as a grunt, possibly nearby. My senses are dulling, I don't know.

What do I feel? Two things: The hat in my hand. Vertigo, as if I'm being pulled around. My head is reeling, senses here but not functioning properly.

Goodbye, world.