Home

"Jack! Where are you?" I called out, walking down the gray hallway. A muffled voice called out.

"Trixie? I'm in my room," he said, his voice floating in the air. I skipped towards the blue door. It was the same color as Jack's eyes. I reached up and opened the door.

"Jaaaack," I said. "I'm bored..." He didn't look up from his paper. He was sitting by his desk, his long-ish black hair hanging into his eyes. Mommy didn't like it when he had long hair.

"Later, Trixie. I'm busy," he mumbled. I frowned.

"But Jack, I we can play with this!" I said, waving my arm around. He looked up and his eyes widened.

He was staring at the small, sharp, flat, kind-of shovel object I was holding in my hand. It was the type Mommy and Daddy used to make food smaller, like it was magic. I looked at it myself. It was shiny, clean and pointy. I was careful not to poke myself. I was holding it like Ms. Hill had taught my kindergarten class how to hold scissors in school.

"Trixie, please. Put it down," he said very quietly, so quietly that I didn't think even the walls around us heard him. Mommy always said the walls had ears. I think she meant people were hiding inside of the walls, writing down what we said to each other. It sounded boring.

"Why? We can play! Come on, Jack! Play with me," I said, smiling.

"Trixie. Put it down. Now," he said again, but a little louder, so the people in the walls could hear him talking. I shook my head and made a mad face.

"No!" I said, using the voice Mommy used when she was angry. I ran towards him, and he stood up and started to walk backwards. He fell over the air and hit the wall with his back. I could hear it rumble.

"Jack," I said, my eyes getting bigger. "You've hurt the wall. The wall's mad at you now." But Jack was silent.

"He wants you to apologize, or he might push you down," I explained to him. Me and my best friend Amanda thought that walls could close on us, but they were nice enough not to- most of the time. He didn't say anything. The wall made a hurting sound.

"Jack," I told him again. "the wall wants you to apologize to him. Say sorry, Jack!" I waved the shovel above my head, and he looked all over the room. I stared into the direction he was looking, too, and saw Mr. Sparkles looking hard at me. One of his sparkly pink ears was hanging in his eyes, like my black- brown- ish hair does sometimes, and I could hear him talking in my head.

Trixie, you know what to do. Just follow the plan, like a grown-up, okay? It's a surprise, he said. I smiled at the bunny and nodded, to show I had heard him. My eyes went back to Jack, who had his eyes closed.

"Jack? Are you sleeping?" His eyes went open again, but he still didn't say sorry. The wall was going to be really really really mad. I stomped on the floor hard with my foot like a big monster.

"Jack! Me and Mr. Sparkles have decided something." I went forwards, and held the sharp shovel like a pencil. I poked him in the stomach, hard, because I was too small to poke his chest. He sat down hard and made a noise in his throat. There was tomato juice coming out of his tummy. Mr. Sparkles must like this. I do too. We both like tomato juice.

I poked him a few more times, until he wasn't moving anymore. I sat down next to him.

"Was the surprise that boring?" I said. I could see the juice shining in the light from the window. The door went open, and Mommy came out from hiding behind it. When she saw Jack, she turned funny colors, kind of like in the cartoons. Then she went to sleep very suddenly next to Jack.