Chapter I

She was trapped, caged like an animal. It was a pale white room, nothing but glass on one wall where they could watch her, observe her movements. Her freedoms were slim, and she simply had no way out.

A man approached the wall, he wore a tight navy-blue and black suit while his arm clutched his side. He was hunched over as he pressed at the buttons on the glass wall, an attempt to set her free. His brown hair looked almost bronze under the bright lights as he looked up at her. He was bleeding, pain on his face as the red pooled around his hand. She ran up to the glass searching his eyes as a loud noise blazed through her ears.

Kacey sat up in bed, panting and confused about who that man from her dream was, wondering if she'd ever seen him before. She looked around at the pale pink walls of her room and the ornate designs of the curtains that curtailed her stained glass window. Her alarm was screeching in an urgent panic that didn't seem to faze her. The darkness was beginning to leave, instead replaced by bright lights flooding her room. Her eyes shot to the door, head slightly spinning as she sat up, watching the handle turn slowly and the door was pushed open. Curious green eyes peeked into her room.

"I see you." She laughed, amusement in her eyes as they landed on her little brother. He grinned cheekily, a smile on his face that mirrored her own.

"Kacey! I want you to drive me to WumpDondons. I'm hungry." Parker said, his exuberant green eyes were almost mystical, enchanting in the brightness that wafted out of them.

"There's food downstairs." Kacey said, looking at his messy, fluffy brown hair that bounced with him as he walked around her room. She eyed him like a cat watching a bird, ensuring he didn't break anything.

"But you just got your drivers license and I'm hungry." He whined, plopping onto her bed as it bounced for a couple milliseconds. She smiled at the thought; she'd gotten her drivers license yesterday, making the maximum amount of errors allowed for her to pass.

Parker didn't seem to want to sit still as he lifted himself off of the bed and toward her desk, observing the pens and shading different parts of her notebooks as Kacey watched him. Parker grinned, realizing the essence of his plan, as he walked to her windowsill and pulled open the curtains, waves of light flood her room as it now became an array of beautiful colors. She blinked rapidly, giving time for her eyes to adjust, for a split second she thought she was going to scream at her little brother, but the idea passed when she saw the wide grin on his chubby face.

"Parker, just let me get dressed?" She smiled at him as he ran toward her and hugged her. He was nearly six, the age that he would lost certainly remain and adorable puff-ball of sweetness; she feared how the world would change him as he aged.

"You're the best!" He giggled, skipping out of her room to announce the good news to their mother. Kacey loved to see others happy, especially her baby brother.

She unsteadily walked to the bathroom; the dim sunlight seemed to sooth the room, making her want to head back to bed and sleep for a few more minutes. She turned on the artificial light, staring at her brown hair and dark blue, almost brown, eyes in her reflection, specks of silver smiling at her. Everyone in her family had green eyes, everyone but her. She'd thought it was unfair at first, felt as though she didn't belong, but she learned to deal with it. She learned to love herself as she was and as she should.

She quickly showered and brushed her teeth, staring at her perfectly aligned white smile. Kacey enjoyed looking at herself. Because, honestly, she was absolutely stunning. She had no appetite for attention from others, but she had admired the god-given beauty that she had been born with. Kacey put the green toothbrush back into the cup and turned away from the white granite in the bathroom and walked out to prepare for her school day.