Just say yes

I sighed. Football practice was dragging on longer than usual. We were in mid-game when our coach finally called for a time-out.

“Drink up, Rose! You look tired.”

I waved at my coach and jogged to the fountain. My eyes scanned the grounds and I noticed that no one had followed me. Most of my teammates were gathered around our coach. I ran back to them.

“What’s up?”

My coach clapped his hands together, ending the conversation.

“All right, everyon you know what to do. Divide into three groups then back to the game.”

My friend, Sydney, immediately pulled me to one side while the others separated into even teams.

“Sydney! Rose! Your team against Lissa’s. The rest come here.”

Everyone looked at me and grinned. I looked back at them confused.

“Good luck, Rose!”

I looked at Lissa, baffled. Usually she wouldn’t wish me anything good.

“Thank you?”

“Get into position.”

I ran to the upper left part of the field and waited for the game to begin. Sydney looked at me and nodded. I winked and ran to the ball as she tapped it. No one moved. I looked around, confused.

“What’s going on?”

They all smiled as the high-pitched noise from a megaphone rang through the whole field. I froze at the sound of the voice. The voice I would know anywhere.

“Rose Hathaway! I know you’re out there!”

His voice was echoing throughout the place. Everyone’s eyes were on me as I scanned the area, searching for his silhouette. He laughed, the sound coming from all directions.

“Don’t try looking for me Roza… I have a question for you.”

I glanced at our coach. He was smiling. Everyone was making their way to the bleachers, some of them grabbed footballs on their way there. My lips twitched. So that’s why coach wanted me to go drink water.

“What do you want, Dimitri?” I called out loud, my smile finally breaking through.

“Will. You. Go. To. Prom. With. Me.”

The girls holding footballs were sitting away from each other and raised them above their heads. I felt my smile widen as the footballs made the image of a heart. I laughed as Sydney and Lissa came over with two bouquets of red roses in their arms.

“Go get him, Rose!”

“He is a charmer.”

I laughed and winked at them, taking the bouquets in my arms. Even if the roses were a bit cliche. Lissa went behind me while Sydney covered my eyes I went rigid with excitement and impatience.

“Roza, what do you say?”

I turned my head towards the sound of his voice and smiled broadly as Sydney removed her fingers. There he was in the middle of the heart of footballs standing in between some of my teammates, a single white rose in his hand. When he walked down the bleachers, my team parted for him. He kept on walking until he was right in front of me. I took the rose from him.

“Will you go to prom with me?”

I looked into his eyes smiling. I let the roses fall except for the white one, and wrapped my arms around his neck, his snaked around my waist.

“Yes.”

He smiled and spun me around. I held onto him tighter. He lifted me above him and I looked down into his brown eyes. I leaned into him to meet his lips and felt him smile through the kiss.

-End-