Crossroad

Crossroad

Looking outside the bus window, Julia has to smile seeing the first snow that falls in Seoul, officially starting winter. Her smiled widened seeing how the people outside the has stopped what they are doing for a while to enjoy the falling snow, probably either just to enjoy it or hoping to meet your true love (as the Korean saying goes).

"True Love." Julia mused. Some years ago... some innocent years ago... when she first stepped in Seoul, she also marvelled at the sight of first snow. The romantic side of her would always want to share the first fall of snow with her true love. Or so she thought.

"Enrique..." The name slipped on her mind in an instant and a slight pain has crossed her chest. She shook her head, trying to erase the unbidden thought. She looked once again at the snow falling and she decided that she would enjoy every second of it. So she hoped off the bus.

~

The streets of Myeongdong never failed to amaze her. Filled with street foods and little trinkets, filled with people of different ages, Myeongdong will always be one of her favourites area if you want to just pass time. With her thick clothes and bonnet, she savoured the falling snow.

When she turned to one street, there seemed to be some mini show going on as the it is filled with people. She stopped, went to the corner and she just waited until the mini show is over. She looked up at the sky, then raised her arm so that her palm can catch the soft snow falling.

And when she looked ahead, her heart stopped... as across her... the man she had thought she would never see again is doing the same thing as hers.

"Enrique..." She mouthed his name. And he mouthed hers.

Then suddenly, she was back to the past that she is trying to forget.

~

He is the campus heartthrob as not only he is the captain of the basketball team but he is also the leader of the dance club. He is on his senior year when she just entered college.

It isn't the love at first sight meeting, nor the cliché hate at first encounter but fell in love in the end.

No. They started like an ordinary one.

He is a friend of a friend. Their interactions are limited to hellos and see you around. He has a girlfriend. While she is trying not to get overwhelmed by the string of admirers that she have.

They don't have each other's numbers. They don't hang out.

But one night... as she was waiting for the traffic light to turn green so that she can cross the road... she has spotted him right at the opposite side of the road... and their eyes met.

She didn't know why in that particular moment, she felt something new. An attraction.

~

Crossing that road started something.

They exchanged pleasantries and he just insisted on walking her to her condominium as it is getting really dark. They walked in a comfortable silence, that turned into something akin to sexual tension. Is it because he is dangerously close to her that she can now see how gorgeous he is? Or is it because his masculine scent has filled her senses? Or is it because of the cold weather?

She doesn't know.

"So here's my place." She said as they stopped in front of her condo.

He smiled. "Go inside, now... I'll wait for you until you are inside."