A Hearts Dream Prologue

I opened my eyes but shut them again, quickly. It was too bright. I opened my eyes again, blinking so I could get used to it. I looked around. There were white walls and a white door. Next to the door, there was a window showing a corridor. I coughed. But, then I flinched soon after. My chest and throat hurt.

"Oh! You're awake!" a voice suddenly cried from my left. I turned to face the owner of the voice slowly.  

 "Mom?" I croaked out, when my eyes landed on her. She looked terrible. Her curly brown hair was all over the place. Her dark eyes stood out against the paleness of her skin. She looked like a ghost and it didn't help that her face was twisted with concern.

"Oh, sweetie. Are you okay? I was so worried. Thank God, you're okay," she sighed. Mom stood up from the plastic red chair, the only colorful thing in the room, and walked to me. She took my hand in hers. "Are you okay? Shall I call the doctor? Are you in any pa-"

"Mom," I cut her off. "I'm fine. Honestly." I squeezed her hands before taking a slow, deep breath. I grimaced. With every breath I took, my chest would shoot fireworks of pain. Why was I in the hospital? 

Mom had noticed my grimace because she said, "Are you okay?" 

I nodded unconvincingly. 

After staring into my eyes for a minute she sighed and nodded in return."Okay, hunny. But, do you need anything? Anything at all?" she asked, her eyes searching my face.

"No, Mom. Thanks, though. But, where's Blake?" I added. Where was he? He was with me just... a while ago. What happened to him now?

"Blake? Who's Blake?" Mom asked.

I opened my mouth but shut it again. Mom knew who he was. She met him. She saw him just this morning! Was it really this morning? Did he leave me here?

I thought he was my friend.

"Mom, Blake. You know, Blake Coltan? Doctor Coltan's son?" I asked, desperate for her to tell me she knew who he was. That she was joking with me.

To my disappointment, she shook her head. "Honey, I don't know any Blake Coltan. Are you sure you're okay?" she asked once more. 

"Oh, Mom, I'm fine." I told her. "Do you remember a Doctor Coltan?" Please, remember, I added silently. 

"Yes." 

A sigh of relief left my lips painfully. "Then you must know his son, Blake. Mom, come on, remember! You were the one who introduced me to him. He probably came here..." I urged. How could she not have met him? If she knew Doctor Coltan, then she must know Blake. 

"Violet, I don't. It was only me and your dad. I was by your side the whole time. As soon as you came out of the coma," her voice cracked on the last word.  

"No, Mom, you don- what? I was in the..." The words died on my lips. No way. 

But, then, Blake must've visited me whilst I was in the coma. It might have been a long time ago and Mom can't remember. Yup, that's it. Mom never had a good memory. That's why she can't remember now, I reassured myself. 

Mom just nodded. 

"For how long?" I asked, quietly. I wanted her to tell me I was in there for a month that would prove how bad her memory was... 

"F-for four days," she whispered instead. I couldn't feel the pain in my chest anymore because it was replaced with a new one. Mom's thumb drew small circles across my cheek softly. I sighed softly as I took in the new piece of information. I was in the coma for four days. Blake must've visited. He was my friend. He was with me. He promised he'll always be with me. I felt a small tear make its way down my cheek as I thought of what he must have done.  

Abandoned me.