Chapter 1: A New World

July 17th, 1718

I uprooted myself from everything I knew in France. I left my sister who is my only family that I have left, my friends that I have come to love, and the world that I once knew growing up, and had once loved. Growing up I would see my atmosphere change around me: the area worsened over time. Starving families lined the small alley ways that were hidden within the large world of France. France had nothing more to offer me, I felt as though I was at a dead-end in my life with no outlet. It wasn't like I was going to have a wonderful life in France, with a good man to take care me. As a result, I left only with what could fit in my sack and abruptly left without explanation for my peers. Off to the New World I went. I am to sail with a trusted ship crew, well at least that is what I hope, who were leaving for New Orleans. Surprisingly, there were other individuals who were to be on the ship as well. All I knew about this new place was that it was going to be an adventure.

I walked slowly upon the dock as the ship crews were hustling with cargo. I had grow-up in Brest, and now I was leaving a familiar place seeking a new start. Now that I stood on the dock, I started thinking. Who could blame me for wanting a new start? I could feel my life slowly becoming dismal as I worked myself to death. Being a maid is difficult as a whole, being a poor woman is even harder. In the end I was in the same place I was before. The Elites of society are truly the only people that have a good life in this world. I know it sounds quite harsh, but in the end the wealthy know this to be true; as the aristocrats change once more just to eat supper.

I hope for the best in New Orleans, but I am most certain there with be hardships that await to greet me. It is not like I am foreign to the misfortunes of life.

***

August 7th, 1718

I believe it to be 4:00 o'clock in the morning when I awoke. The crew and I have been at sea for about three weeks. Captain Witt says that it should be about another week till we arrive at port. Nothing honestly ever occurs on this ship, but the only real burden is when the cook enthuses about a 'new recipe' that he has thought of to supposedly change up the 'normal' routine. If you are intellectual in any way, then you will keep your fork away from the hazard that awaits the naive.

I would have to say that the audacious attempts of the men, on board, trying to woo the women in the kitchen and I is quite revolting and is truly the only interestingly-morbid occurrence that has taken place several times throughout the voyage thus far. Nonetheless, soon I shall welcome New Orleans with a bright future. I can vividly see beautiful buildings; busy city centers; and the feeling of the coast of New Orleans is ever so close.

***

August 14th, 1718

One of the men on the crew shouted early in the morning "Land Ho!"

Above all things; the crew hustling on deck, shouting of the Captain, and the large leather gallies of the men stomping against the wood, I heard the most exhilarating words of my young life. All I could think of was 'What does this new place hold for me?' I went up to the deck to have a look for myself. The deep blue water ahead of the ship didn't quite seem so vast anymore. The closer and closer our ship entered port; my heart pounded with enthusiasm. I could see myself building a new life here, starting a new beginning is always a refreshing feeling. It all became so lively in one single moment. The outlandish thing was, the boat just docked and I have not stepped off the ship yet.

I looked at everything that I could see within my vicinity. The place so beautiful and the buildings were similar to ones at home; with white exteriors and big deck overlooking the street and town. I walked over to the side of the ship to see more of New Orleans, it was beautiful in its own way. I could see the swamp and boats all over the place. Everything about New Orleans, at first glance, was absolutely perfect.