Chapter 1: Pepper

It was a normal sunny morning, I sat at my desk waiting for class to start. I adjusted my glasses and pulled out my notebook. It was the third week into second term and I was already filling my fifth notebook With notes and equations. Then again I take my notes seriously, as do all my friends. They sat around me in my AP chemistry class all of us taking thorough notes (including cross references) while our teacher was teaching.

My friends and I are what the rest of the school classified as 'nerds'. Eight of us total, Rebekah, Kenzie, Kate, Kevin, Adam, Zeke, Drake and myself. We were the ULTIMATE nerd group. Rebekah had red hair and glasses she was by far the nicest person i knew. Adam was African American he also wore glasses. He's quiet most of the time and only talks if he's answering a question or if he absolutely MUST use his voice. Rebekah and Adam were our math experts. Kate and Zeke were complete polar opposites Kate was quiet, stern, bitter, and full of seriousness, though her blond hair makes her look ditsy and dumb, she can and probably will bite your head off in a battle of brains. You do NOT want to be on this chick's bad side. Then there's Zeke he is sarcastic, mellow, and basically the clown of our little group. His smile is very contagious and it's hard to stay mad at him. Drake was our Native American, He liked writing jokes and seemed inseparable from Zeke, most people thought Zeke and Drake were gay. They're not, at least... I don't think they are. Drake's biggest pet peeve is when people ask him if he's from India. Kenzie is the odd ball in our little group. she's GORGEOUS like SUPERMODEL gorgeous. She had a pale complexion, deep green eyes, and perfect long brown hair. Boys always stared at her, that is until they found out she was a nerd. She and Drake were History freaks. Let's see who have I forgotten, oh yeah! Kevin, my crush ever since seventh grade. He had soft curly brown hair that always smelled like cinnamon (yeah I know it sounds weird that I know what his hair smells like, whatever.) He also had deep chocolate brown eyes. He was just so cute and nice, he always thought before he spoke and was considerate to just about everyone. Him and I DOMINATED science.

Our teacher handed out some of tonight's homework in class in case some students needed help. Kevin and I finished in about five minutes, then went on to help our friends finish within the next five. I glanced up at the clock and there was still about twenty minutes left of class. The guys started talking about the academic leaders club Kenzie and Rebekah started arguing about whether or not someone could achieve world peace by writing a letter of apology. Kate and I rolled our eyes, pulled out books and began to read. I've always had sensitive ears, so i can pick up hushed conversations from across the room, specifically the popular group. I liked to refer to them as the 'sunnies' because like the sun they thought everything revolved around them. Half of the Sunnies were only in this class because their parents bribed the school. (I would know my aunt helps the councilors set up the classes.)

Now I know eves dropping is impolite, but so is talking bad about us while we're in the same room, so I listened into they're conversation.

"Ugh! look, the nerds are done already. I mean. they actually care about this shit?" said Jamie, the Airhead leader of the sunnies, Also our class president and captain of the cheer squad. go figure right?

Her group of friends laughed and a few mumbled "nerds."

But Jamie didn't stop there, "They're not even talking about 'normal things, like sports or shopping. They're talking nerd like, 'I'm gonna be the next Einstein!' Ugh and look at Pepper," my ears turned pink once i heard my name.

"she's just reading some lame ass book. I mean how antisocial can you get? She's not even talking to her queerly nerd friends." Jamie's friends laughed again.

I knew Kate was listening as well, by the way her knuckles turned white, clutching her book too tightly. I knew how she felt, we both hated it when they made fun of us, and we both wanted to go over there and rip the extensions out of her head. I knew better than to do something like that, I had to be patient and let karma take care of Jamie. Besides they weren't worth the effort or the detention. I looked at Kate and gave her a look and mouthed, 'ignore them.' She nodded and we both resumed reading until class ended.