Chapter Eight

After a time, the two of them gradually relented their passions, snuggling deeper into the couch, limbs entwined, foreheads resting together. "I'm worried someone's going to come looking for us," said Harry without opening his eyes.

Draco groaned. "Tell them to piss off if they do," he mumbled, making Harry chuckle.

But he was serious. "I'm surprised your father hasn't come banging on my door demanding I release you from whatever love potion he undoubtedly thinks I've got you under."

That got Draco's attention. He blinked and moved back to look at Harry properly. "Shit, yeah you're right," he said, massaging his temple. "I absolutely do not want to deal with that tonight."

Harry ran his hand along Draco's side, feeling the embroidery of the magnificent tailcoat he still had on, coming to rest on his hip bone and rubbing his thumb in circles. "How would you feel about going away for the night – it's not even ten o'clock yet, I could get us a reservation somewhere?"

Draco frowned slightly at him. "Like, a hotel?" Harry nodded.

"We're a real couple now," he said, feeling himself smile. "We can be seen in public all we like."

Draco's eyes had some of their sparkle back. "We might get recognised though," he said. "Someone could tell my father and we'd be back to square one."

"Not if we went to a Muggle hotel?" Harry suggested.

Draco thought on this, nibbling on his lip in a way that flipped Harry's insides. He wanted to do that for him, but he waited patiently as he watched his lover mull it over. "I'd like that," he said shyly after a while. "Somewhere new and different, so we can start fresh, as a real couple."

Harry kissed his forehead. "You stay here, I'll sort it all okay?"

Draco laughed at him as he clambered awkwardly over him, but Harry wouldn't let him get up. He looked so small and fragile, curled up on his sofa with his tear stained face, and Harry crouched down to plant some kisses on his cheeks before going to get his phone. "Stay," he warned Draco, jabbing a finger at him as he left the room.

Draco smirked and flipped him the bird. "Fuck off Potter," he said fondly.

Harry had had a plan a while ago for a Christmas present for Draco, and having spent the last several weeks thinking he wouldn't be able to give it to him, Harry figured it was okay to go for it even though it wasn't quite December yet. Whilst he dialled the hotel he'd had in mind, he brewed the kettle in the kitchen, making Draco peppermint tea. The woman he spoke to on the desk was most helpful, assuring Harry that his few special requests were no trouble at all.

Whilst he was on hold he padded back into the lounge and placed Draco's mug in front of him with a warm smile, his heart fluttering as he looked up at him from where he was still lying on the couch, one of the cushions hugged to his chest. "Thank you," he mouthed silently.

Harry walked back out again, fishing his Muggle credit card from his wallet in the bedroom to confirm the reservation, then jamming the phone between his ear and shoulder, leaving both hands free to start packing a bag.

He had moved all of Draco's things from the bathroom into his drawer when he had thought he wasn't ever coming back. He'd contemplated binning them, but was extremely glad now that he hadn't. He scooped up all his products and toothbrush, as well as his pyjamas and some Muggle clothes. As he closed up the call he fished out a similar selection for himself, then crawled under the bed, selecting some choice items that he felt might come in handy, stashing them separately in the bag's front compartment.

Harry was probably all done and dusted after ten minutes or so, and was glad to see when he walked back into the living room that Draco was standing, drinking his tea, looking the brightest he'd been all night.

"You kept it," he said, nodding over his shoulder as he turned to look at Harry. He indicated the single rose in the slim vase on the mantle, a sweet smile creping on his lips.

"Yeah," said Harry, very glad he'd decided to stop hiding all his mementos from their time together so far. It was the rose Draco had saved from the cottage, the one he'd shown up with at Harry's office. To him, it symbolised the moment their relationship was born. "I kept some other stuff too."

Silently, he dropped his bag on the floor, took Draco's hand, and started leading him around the flat. He'd told Draco he was doing this, he'd shown him most of the bits and bobs before he'd hidden them from sight, but Harry was starting to realise by doing so he'd probably encouraged Draco's paranoia. He should never have indulged it, he should have shown him how proud he was all along, then maybe they could have avoided this painful debacle of the past few months.

They finished in front of the photo frame in the bedroom containing Draco's version of the Roses Are Red poem. He reached out and touched the frame as Harry snuggled into him.

"You sure you're okay with going away?" he asked, worried he was putting too much on him in one night. "We can always just hide away in the bedroom and put a Muffliato charm on the front door?"

But Draco was shaking his head. "I don't want anyone to be able to find us," he said, moving around so Harry was wrapped in his arms as well. "I want to have this moment, just us two. Then tomorrow we can deal with as much drama as the world can throw at us."

Harry leant in and rested their foreheads together. "My thoughts exactly," he said.