Chapter 1

A Day In My Life

*7:45 am*

" April! Get out of bed, you're gonna be late!" my roommate paige exclaimed

"What time is it?"

"7:45..."

I looked out my window to see snowing heavily falling. After all, it is New York in January... There's no way I'm going to make it in time. I should've planned better.

I jumped out of bed with a shock, realizing that today I have my biggest meeting ever. I threw some bread into the toaster and quickly hopped in the shower. I got dressed for work and off I went.

As I rushed out the door, I thought to myself... Today is going to be the busiest day of my life.

Trying to catch a cab in the city is so frustrating. Usually i'd have the patience, but today I am in no mood to mess with. I took off my heels and began to run. My meeting has been scheduled for 8:30 am, I may just make it on time.

*8:06 am*

Snow getting in my hair and my feet getting wet; I'm a mess and it isn't even noon yet, but I'm sure everything will be just fine.

*8:17 am*

I'm half way there! My feet are gross and sore, I just cant run anymore. I stopped to the side, trying to get a taxi. It's been five minutes and sill nothing... it's now 8:22 am. I know it's wrong, but I stole the next taxi I saw from an old woman in the cold. I just couldn't risk being late to this meeting, but it's okay... I wasn't completely rude, I gave the lady fifty dollars as I got in the cab.

*8:27 am*

I see it! I'm almost there! This is great, I'm gonna make it! I paid the driver and got out a block away. It's 8:27 am, here I go. Once again I began to run. I was about six feet away when of course... I slipped on ice!

This sucks! I was so close and now I'm going to walk in there late to the most important meeting of my career. It's 8:32 am... what now?

Of course 'New Yorkers' wouldn't help me up, but it's okay... I'm fine. I stood up and started walking.

I guess it's smart to mention that I work for my mother, for her company, in her building... she's my boss so, I'm very well know here. But really, that just means more work for me.

As I entered my office, everyone stared. Probably wondering where I've been, why I'm late or perhaps why I look like absolute crap. Oh well, too many questions to answer now. All I'm focused on is getting in and out of this meeting as fast as possible.

Oh and by the way, I work in fashion design and today is my chance to show everyone my ideas for my very own clothing line. This is why today's meeting is such high priority. Let's do this.

I entered the conference room quietly, everybody stopped what they were doing and stared at me. They were probably wondering the same things as everybody else. Although, perhaps one more... 'If I was really serious about getting this opportunity, would I have shown up late?'

Of course I cared! Ever since I started in this business, this has been my dream! I didn't mean to be late... yes, I overslept and that was my fault but I tried so hard to get here in time. But I couldn't correct them. It was best to just move on and continue to discuss. The meeting was going pretty well, up until my mother decided to open her mouth... she said: