chapter - 3

Sophie entered the class room taking the teacher's permission. The teacher showed her a seat near the back. She went to it.   But the whole class started shouting in the same tune like a noisy chorus "welcome ma'am".

Sophie looked up at the teacher to find his smiling face at her. She felt a little awkward but settled on her seat.

The teacher started continuing a topic from the last class. Sophie looks around just to see her new classmates and was astonished to see a guy smiling at her. It took her no time to realise that it's the same guy from the morning.

After completing the topic the teacher had already started, he turned to his new student, " so miss Sophie Sekhawat. Right?"
" yes sir." Replied she in a low voice.
" chup. Tu zada sikha-mat." (" shut up. Don't you teach us" with a rhyming to her name.) Said someone from the other side.
And the whole class bursted out laughing including the teacher.

After the class silenced , the teacher asked her again. "So Sophie, any queries?"
" yes sir. What are the rules here?" She asked in a nervous voice.
" oh the rules, which rules are you asking about? Our rules or your rules?"
Sophie thought a little. "All the rules, sir. "She replied in an obvious  matter of fact tone.
"Our rules, that you can find in the daily diary which you can collect from the student cell."
...." and your rules, yes, your classmates will teach you that. Hey, Sunil, why don't you take the responsibility as always to teach your rules to the new comer."
" sure sir. Why not?"  Said a loud voice.
Sophie looked at the direction and was astonished to find it to be the voice of the next boy sitting to the only guy she knew in the class.
The teacher left the class room after speaking a little more.

Just as he left the whole class surrounded her just like we do with keen interest when we see an ant surrounded by water all around.
The two guys, apparently Sunil and his friend came over to her. Sophie pretended to read her copy on which nothing was written.
A guy stretched his hand out and said" hello. I am Sunil."
Sophie looked up to face the guy she had seen in the morning. She was enraged. What kinda prank is this, she thought as she had noticed the other guy answering the teacher when he called Sunil's name. She too stretched out her hand but to the other guy, with curly hair and dark brown doe- like eyes ( whom she thought to be Sunil). The guy took her hand with an unsure look and said "I am Adi."

Sunil took his hand back and smiled a little.
Sophie withdrew her hand alarmingly and stood up and shouted in a complaing tone " you all are playing pranks on me. "
Adi threw another confused look, first at Sophie, then to Sunil then back to Sophie again. " seriously? And I thought we haven't started yet."
The whole class giggled. Sophie looked straight at Sunil who was continuously smiling as if he was commenting to himself.

But this blew Sophie's anger higher and she shouted " what do you think of yourself? I know why you are doing all this?"
Sunil was taken a little off guard at first but then recovered quickly," oh really, so tell us, why am I doing this? " he said in a very calm and soft tone.
Sophie got a little  frightened. But she was determined not to show her weaknesses up to any one. " umm...oh....ok....that I don't know..... But ....ummm...uhh.... Hi Sanaya!!" She was relieved to spot Sanaya trying to make way through the crowd of classmates around.
" hey dear, oh guys...., you have met already? Come on ,meet Her, my sis. " she declared to the class pretending not to know what was going on at all.
" Really, you've got a sis ? That too of your age, but doesn't look like you at all?" Said Adi in his ever confused way with a lot of curiosity in his eyes.
Sophie gave him an embarrassed smile. And noticed that Sunil was looking at her in a similar cold way as he was, before her sis entered.
" Whatever.... " said Sanaya in an irritated tone to Adi.

Sanaya managed to introduce everyone in the class with Sophie.
However Sunil was to be pressed a lot by both his best friends, Adi and Sanaya, to say a proper "hi" to her.
Somehow the day in school passed, Sophie entered her room which she found relieving after the day. She closed the door saying she is tired and didn't show up to anyone before during evening tea time when she was called to see some guests who arrived at their house.