Short story

Entity

It is the year 2065.

By this time, cybernetics has evolved to a different level, it is now used to control people's brains, their thoughts and the information they get. President Joe Barks makes people believe that this is an entity that improves and enhances our lifestyle eliminating mental illnesses, he says that 'Only the ones who request it are given,' but secretly everyone is implanted with machines at birth. This is no natural world, no paper, no flowers, no real grass, no pencils, only artificial things. Even the food is genetically modified. Only a limited number of people remember the implantation of machines because it wasn't entirely removed from their brain, not everything in the brain can be controlled. Some people's memories can be completely removed. Most of the people who have memories of the implantation or anything like controlling everyone's brains are rarely found. Rumors has it that President Barks has 'deleted them from society' but no one believes the rumor or that everyone is implanted with cybernetics except for a few.

My name is Sandra Barks, as you may know everyone here has to have the surname 'BARKS' because he doesn't want anyone to have a more superior surname than him. I am ha......oops I can't remember what I wanted to say but still everyone says I am weirder than everyone else because no one says a letter or word and forgets the rest of the sentence. I've tried to figure out why this happens to me, someone once told me something I can't remember now but I remember it had something to do with cyber. Ever since I was told that I've been trying to figure out what that person said but I can't remember how the person was and how to describe him/her. I started to write because sometimes I forget what I want to say, but the battle is tough. Each day, I try my best to grab my stylus and writing pad everywhere I go.

One day, as I was flipping through my dict pad, I was still trying to find the word that person told me. I was searching under the letter "C" and I came across the word I was looking for, I tried to write the meaning and the word down quickly but I could only write cyberne...., before the word and meaning disappeared from both my dict pad and brain, which didn't help me very much. I told Sasha, Sam and Derek, my friends, what I found and they came over.

"Ever since, we've been trying find out what was making us forget and the closer we got the more we forgot and the more we're reducing," Sam says after I relate my story.

"How have we been reducing?" I replied back curiously. They all let out a frustrated sigh, which I've now come to realize is the sigh they give when I've been told something but can't remember.

Then Sasha unlocked her write pad, with her henna designed hand, which was so colorful and neat then she opened a page which had the title 'Important events that have happened,' under the title was a bullet point list. She scrolled her perfectly manicured finger down to the 4th bullet point. She then read what it said, "Every year, one of us," she stops and looks at me with a look of you-know-what-I'm-talking-about-right. I nod in reply knowing she's talking about 'the Resistance' which is a group of people who can remember more than what they are meant to like us.

"...has been taken by the government because we've been trying to find out why we've been forgetting, last year it was Paul and as usual no one knows for sure what happened to him,"she continues.

"Which Paul?" I said.

"The 44 year old guy with only one streak of black hair left?" Derek answers. I give him a puzzling look.