||The Smile On Her Face||

The Smile On Her Face. Copyright© January 2016. All Rights Reserved

No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or by any information storage and retrieval system without the written permission of the author.

This book is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead is entirely coincidental.

                                                                                          ~

She wipes her tired wet face as she opens her laptop. Rubbing her eyes as she double clicks the Google Chrome icon and opens Gmail. With shaking hands, she types in her username and password and then clicks the 'Compose Mail' button.

She closes her eyes and counts to three.
Slowly, she opens her eyes lids.
She types in, "coolboii_me@gmail.com"
She racks her brain to think of a subject and then continues to type, "Read Till The End."

She pauses the song on her iPod, rubs her hands together and begins typing.

____________¶|¶|¶|¶|¶________

Dear Suhan,

I hope you're doing well. It's been a long long time and we haven't finished what we had started. Yes, I know that I'm a procrastinator but when something is due, I make sure it's handed over. And I guess today is one of my submission days.

What I've been through, nobody would know and what you've been through, nobody would know either. But what we have been through, I guess that's something only you and I would know. I know, when you'll read this letter one part of you may be thinking, "Why is she bringing up the past?" And that part might tell you to close this mail and delete it. The other part of you might say, "Let's see what she has to say, Arsha doesn't waste her time on something stupid." Yes, there's a reason as to why I'm writing this letter to you. Today I want to be brutally honest with you. I'm doing this not for you but for me. I've tried to find solace in many places Suhan, but I guess today, this might be it.

I have changed tremendously-- half by force and half by choice. I'm a hard person to change, but I did. Before I go to that, I want to lift a weight off my heart. Today I want to tell you the truth, I've left you as a decision maker for a very long time today, I want to decide for myself. I want to show you how I felt. I don't know if you'd understand how I felt, I'll just be happy with the fact that I tried.

Do you remember that one day when I cried in August after work? When I didn't let you check my phone? That one day you told me that I should have been angry, not sad. Yes, I cried that day. No, not because I upset you, that was part of it, but because I could feel you and I breaking apart. But I was afraid to say it, because I feared that if I said it out loud, I would lose you. And lose you I did. It was the beginning. Beginning of the end of what you and I shared. My fears came alive in the worst possible way.

After that, you and I fought like it was a ritual. The thick rope now became a loose string. I know half the story of your distance from me Suhan. First quarter you told me and the next quarter you told my best friend. The half that you kept to yourself is still unknown to me. Even today I'd tell you what I told you then.

We're practical, and I don't mind the fact that you stopped talking to me. What you meant to me, was more than what you can think of. I was half broken, and you knew it. I was mysterious and you knew it. Even then I let you in Suhan, even then. I let you break the walls, I let you build a bridge to my heart. You knew exactly how to break me, and you did just that. I thought you won't think of me the way everyone else did, and maybe, just maybe, you didn't. But in the end, that's not what you told the world. A man is supposed to stand up for his woman. I don't need you to stand up for me, I can do that myself very well. But it's just a feeling a woman would want. For her partner to show her that he cares about her and what they share. I'm glad you chose that one option over me because perhaps, I would have done the same thing if I was in your shoes.