Chapter Three

I woke up the next morning to a woman patting my cheek. My eyes blinked uncontrollably as I was trying to adjust my eyes that were watery from sleep. I felt how heavy my eyes were; like I was carrying a huge baggage under my eyes. They were swollen from the unending crying session I had last night. I squinted hardly as my eyes tried to adjust to the woman standing right at the side of my bed, "Mom?" my heart beaten a little too fast and out my chest when I said it. But then I realized I was wrong. I immediately sat up and scratched my eyes to greet Aunt Matell standing before me.

"Good Morning Kelsea, I'm sorry but we leave for the airport in two hours" She says calmly, a little bit like how a mother would, "I already packed your things"

My eyebrows furrowed when she told me she had touched my stuff. Anger built up inside and I didn't even know where it came from, "Who gave you the right to pack my things??" I told her, a little too harsh I guess. I dislike the thought of people touching things which aren't theirs. Just like how I would dislike people stealing a person that is already owned by someone in the first place.

"I'm sorry Kelsea," she pauses, her voice getting a little softer, "We're going to get through this okay? You don't have to like me, maybe not yet, but I hope one day I could fill the gap your mother left you with"

"I don't know how that's possible when I can't even recall how a mother's love feels like" I bitterly sprouted out the words.

"Then I'll show it to you" she said in a heartbeat, "I haven't had a child to prove my love to as well, so I guess I call us even?" her mouth curves into a smile and I surprisingly find myself doing the same. By the sound of her voice, I could easily tell her stay in Ireland has rubbed off a bit of Irish accent on her and it just plainly amazed me.

I was surprised on how much her words affected me. It was unintentional but there was something in her voice that sent shivers; not the bad kind, but the shivers that felt like hope. We're going to get through this okay? It was something I myself would say to dad. She was like me in a way, and the radiating positivity she is giving me right now is just what I needed. We both knew it was a tough time for me, or maybe even for her since she's officially dragged in this mess, but she was still able to pull off a smile and I admire her for that. It's probably something I'd be hesitating to do so myself.

"I'm going to gather up some of my important stuff," I finally took the courage to stand up from my bed, faster than usual that it makes my head go dizzy. Aunt Matell nodded and I could see how delighted she was by it.

I've suddenly gained energy and I was thankful that it wasn't going to be a sad departure, even though being cheerful doesn't match my swollen eyes. I reached for my laptop, placed it in a bag, and also got my guitar from its guitar case to bring with me. The thought of leaving today left me with the feeling of both anxiety and a tiny tinge of giddy. Everything was happening so fast, so sudden; it was terrifying to cope up.

I reached for all the chargers and important stuff I needed to survive. But before I could even take a next move, a thought pops into my mind, "Where's dad?!" I asked Aunt Matell as she looked at the pictures I had in my dresser's mirror.

Those wore pictures of people and memories I kept dear in my heart. There were some of me and dad, some solo photos of myself when I thought I looked good in them, and some of me and the friends I was going to leave behind.

"He had to leave," she looked back at me after observing the pictures. No smile on her face.

"Huh?"

"He didn't want to see you go"

My heart shatters into a million pieces when she said that but the tears didn't seem to fall this time. I've cried so much last night that there were no more left. Dad leaves me without saying goodbye? It's very unlikely of him. He always wanted to be with me by the last moment. He wanted to be there for me every moment he could get. The next time we'll be seeing each other is indefinite, so why refuse to see me now?