Chapter 2

Chapter 2

She needed a drink. However, despite the sourly missed drink to soothe her prickling nerves, she could only be grateful that business was well and no one had caught on to her agitated state. As the conversation that occupied her came to a close she looked to the window. What she saw made her skip a heartbeat. The figure at the window turned towards her and their eyes locked. What she saw in those eyes scared her. Laughing mockery was what she saw. The creature at the window disappeared. She composed herself. She would not break. She had no reason to snap. For 6 years she had not. 6 years of undisturbed composure, she would not break it. At least, not now and not here.

He made his way to the couple, his heart hammering in his chest. He was unable to control the butterflies that seemed to dominate his inside. Completely absurd, he knew, but he wanted her and loved her as badly as when they had first met. Even when he knew her to be wed, indeed her husband seemed to plague every step she took. He looked at her face again as he approached. What he saw, he could not believe. He saw a vulnerable, hurt little creature whose eyes were screaming for help. He felt as if he needed to protect her from whatever it was that was plaguing her. However when he looked again after taking another step, he blinked. It must have been his imagination. Then at that moment she turned her gaze. Her gaze found him, their eyes locked.

His gaze bore in to her. She could not move. He seemed to paralyse her. Her husband seemed to notice the staring stranger. She broke eye-contact.

"Are you all right?" her husband whispered with a frown upon his face.

"Yes," she answered curtly, "just perfect."

There was silence and a staring match started between the men. The awkward situation was broken by Lady Hurbury.

Lady Hurbury was a woman in her late 40s, who was renowned for her stupidity and friendliness. Although she was disliked, she was famous for giving the best balls and parties in London. Indeed, if you had never been invited to one of her specialities then you were of no interest in London. You were a nobody. She had a careless mouth, but it was honest and had kindness to the extent that her stupidity would allow her to possess. She was deaf to all the bad things said to anybody, and even made up excuses for those who insulted her. In her eyes there were no 'bad' people in the world. The world was all that was beautiful and pure.

"I'm afraid, your grace, that I must inform you that your sister has had a road accident." The lady said with genuine worry laced in her words and features.

"A road accident?" The question had startled all three, however knowing that it could not go unanswered and as much as she wanted to sort one problem out before another came, she could not.

"Yes indeed, quite unfortunate I must say. I believe one of the foot men were sent to inform us. It is a great disappointment since I had expected the dinner table to be full."

"Yes, a very unfortunate thing to have happened, I had been anxious to meet my sister. I have not seen her since she went to France."

"I must say, I envy her your grace. She has seen more than the confinements of our mother country."

"Indeed."

"Well, I hope you find the evening enjoyable. Even without your sister. I was told that their carriage had landed in a ditch and it was nothing too serious. I hope that eases you in some way or another." 

They woman gave a small curtsy and danced across to the other side of the ballroom.

When Lady Hurbury seemed out of hearing range, William started to laugh, but stopped on realizing that both the Duke and Duchess were staring at him strangely. Even though he knew and wanted to stop, his humour had the better of him. He smirked at the two.

"I know how rude you must think me, and I am sorry for that. However that was the most funniest thing that I have heard in years."

He kept on laughing, although it may seem a humourless, stupid conversation to everyone else, this was the funniest thing he had witness in years. Society had always been too polite and dull, but if this was what Lady Hurbury's famous parties were like, people had a point about the woman hosting the best parties in existence. He had only believed it to be another boring 'function' in which he would be introduced to eager young ladies in need of a husband or ladies who needed a break from them, and maybe the occasional wanton. This was what he had believed before tonight. All London's top social elites were here. All the latest and all the scandals. Also an idiot of an hostess! What fun this was.

This woman seemed not to take a hint or an insult when given one, she seemed completely oblivious of it. She said what she wanted more like a monologue than a dialogue!

Then he suddenly dawned upon realization.