Chapter 14

Scar

During the weeks I've spent here I've cleared out all the cobwebs, painted the outside of the shop, and brought in more game for slaughter. I was satisfied here.

The cow bell attached to the door sounded the presence of a group of men. One of them spoke, "how many people work here ma'am?"

My boss hesitates when she talks, "two. Me and Ms. Hemming."

"Where is she?" My body tensed and my hands released the butcher knife as my blood stained apron and the sliced pig lay on the table.

"In the back. Now what do you gentlemen want today?"

"Get away," I whispered to her under my breathe, she didn't realize it but those men weren't looking for sliced lamb.

"We're not here for meat ma'am, you see we're cops and Ms. Hemming needs to go down to the station so we can ask her some questions." I recognized the man's voice. Immediately my nostrils flared. The mirror across the room reflected my white eyes turning red, as my face contorted into furiosity. I was so angry that they came here.

Suddenly there was a crash and something hit the wall in front of me. Running toward the door it swung in front of me, and a hand grabbed my neck. "Got you."

The center of my chest instantly burned. The man's hand cupped around my neck started to smoke, he screamed in pain and eagerly released his hold. Placing my hands on my chest, my feet curled up from under me as I lay on the floor in a fetis position. The heat spreading through every nerve in my body, each searing pain locking up each muscle. I couldn't move. 

"What the hell?" I could feel their stares bore into my back. "Just grab her. We killed grandma, we'll burn this place down, and hit up Denny's across the street."

One of the men grabbed my legs suddenly his hand was lit up in flames, he screamed and went down on one knee. His friends didn't know what to do as they backed away and watched their friend be engulf in flames, he keel over with his skin burnt to the crisp. Dead. The air smelled like burnt hair, and the look of him was even less appealing. 

"Grab those oven mites, and that board. We can push her on there." The same guy that choked me said. 

His partner growled, "those oven mites will go up in flames too! And metal melts under fire." 

"We just need those oven mites to move her, and that pan- it doesn't burn, this is a butcher shop dumbass, that thing won't melt." 

As the men went to grab the items my wolf suddenly spoke, but her voice was weak like bad radio connection. 'Scarlette. Can you hear me?' 

"Yeah." I said under my breath. 

'You need to stop fighting it, your dieing. This thing will consume you, consume us.' 

"What do you want me to do about it?"

'Let it have control. If you give it what it wants it will stop killing us.' When she said 'us' I realized whatever this thing was that was inside me was killing her as well. Listening to my wolf I let go, releasing all my muscles at once. Suddenly I was thrown into the backseat, my arms no longer responding to my will. When I spotted myself across the room my eyes changed, they were like before,  I- no 'it' could see through people. 

She stood up as she sliced one of their necks across with an extended fingernail that appeared to be a talon. Strolling forward toward the last guy  he started to back up, "Max was-" Suddenly her hand went through his gut, cutting off his sentence as he screamed in pain and fell to his knees. He watched her hand rip out as he lit up in flames. Screaming and thrashing in anguish. She stood silently.