Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Clarity and her teammate sat in her barrack with either a book in hand or a conversation in mind. She glanced at A5, the female feline who was toying around with the television set that was going haywire.

"Oasis," she said, watching as she toyed around with the T.V. "What are you trying to do?"

Oasis grumbled to herself, with some tools in her hand as she pounded against the screen of the T.V. "This damn thing won't work."

"Let me try."

She walked up beside her friend and rechecked all the cables.

"Maybe we should ask the males in the other barracks to help us. Oh, I know!" she exclaimed, "we should ask Savvy. That primate is very good with technology."

Clarity scowled. "We don't need A3 to come in here and help us. I've got this." She gave the T.V. a nice pat on the side and it reverted back to former glamor. "See?"

On the screen the scene of a news van in front of an area back in California appeared. There was a human reporter and he had his hand pointing towards a thirty foot wall with guards armed at the top.

"You are watching the news, A5?"

"Ugh, please don't call me by my rank, Clarity. I hate formality." Clarity smiled at the feline. Her friend had always been the one who did not like to conform to the rules. She was a rebel, and a sassy one at that. "But to answer your question, I am."

Clarity glanced back at the screen again, observing the uniform-cladded officers patrolling the area.

"This is NSO."

"Oh, so you remember them?" Oasis asked genuinely.

"How could I forget? We were there in a couple of their facilities a few years back."

The HYBRD military agency employed handfuls of hybrid soldiers to work various missions globally. Being trained in many areas, they carried the skills of an army into one unified team. Mercile Industries was just one of the few missions that Clarity and her team was sent to. The reason of that assignment had escaped her. It was too long ago, but she remembered the experience.

Canines, primates, and felines. All kept in cages in a violent environment, where no one got to see the light. On good days they lived in solitary, on bad days they succumbed to beatings and abuse. It felt like a torture chamber-similar to the ones she had been trained in to be fit for combat.

"Those other people looked just like us," she cringed at the memory.

"They aren't one of us though, Clarity."

She looked down at her lap feeling slightly ashamed. She already knew that the New Species and the HYBRD were not the same.

The NSO were testing subjects submitted to years and years of fear before they were freed. Clarity and her friends were soldiers-bred for war, for fighting, for death.

"But we are the same species."

Oasis grew silent. "I think so."

"We just don't have the same fate," a voice spoke. Clarity and Oasis turned their heads towards the doorway, fixing their attention on the male feline who just entered.

"Rookie!" Oasis smiled.

A6 gave her a smile back as he took a seat on Clarity's bunk, making himself quite at home. He was the sixth rank in her team, fulfilling the last slot of their team. She lifted her nose to the air, trying to catch the scents of A2, A3, or A4 if they had followed, but she did not smell any of her other teammates.