new years nandos

New Year's Eve used to be Dan's favourite holiday. Every other holiday just seemed like another excuse to eat food but New Year's Eve; New Year's Eve was special.

Why was it so special? Because Dan had met Nick on New Year's Eve at a party. And then they'd kissed as the clock rung 12 and fireworks burst into the sky, shattering the darkness. And Dan was so happy when he left the party an hour later, with Nick's phone number in his pocket.

Four years had passed since that night and Dan and Nick had spent each of those New Year periods together, loving each other. But not this year. Dan was alone this year. Nick had found someone with more wit, a better kiss, a hotter touch and a better fuck than Dan had ever had. Nick had even used those words, quoting Panic! At The Disco, like he always quoted song lyrics. Dan hated him.

So, Dan sat by himself on New Year's Eve, flicking through the heteronormative films playing on tv. He desperately wanted Nick to be seated beside him, watching the boring films with him and making them seem interesting with his hilarious commentary. Nick was probably off getting laid right now though.

His stomach grumbled and Dan knew it was time to eat. He didn't want to cook anything. But he needed something greasy and something spicy and something that included chicken. And so he rolled off the couch and slid his shoes on before leaving his little one bedroom apartment.

He walked two blocks from his apartment to the beautiful Nando's. He was going to eat tonight.

He entered the building, the smell of spices and dishwashing detergent hitting him instantly. A waiter with raven hair and a stupid fringe herded him toward table by the window and handed him a menu before walking away. Dan frowned after him before looking around the restaurant. There was an old lady sitting with a little girl that looked to be about three. No one else was here. Dan sighed, opening his menu.

Dan occasionally glanced up from his menu at the staff. The waiter who had showed him to the table looked back at him and Dan got a proper look at his eyes. They were a blue colour with specks of green and yellow. They were beautiful. Heck, everything about the boy seemed more beautiful each time he glanced up. Dan bit his lip before standing up and walking to the counter. The boy with the pretty eyes smirked and got ready to serve him.

"Hello, sir. How may I help you today?" He said smiling. Dan looked at him and his upper torso, visible behind the counter. His name tag read 'Phil'. Dan bit his lip.
"Um- hi. I'd like the erm- butterfly burger with a side of... chips." He ordered.
"Mhmmm and what spice level for your burger?" He replied cheerfully.
"Just- like, mild thanks."
"Okay, sounds delicious. I'll have that brought out to you. And here's a number for your table." Phil smiled handing him a number card for his table.
"Thanks. Can I ask... when do you get off your shift, Phil?" Dan asked quietly. He knew he sounded nervous and boring now. And probably like a pervert for having read Phil's name tag but Phil just smiled.
"I get off as soon as you eat your meal tonight, y'know it being New Years Eve and all. Why aren't you out partying?" Phil asked in return, tilting his head to the side. Did Dan look like someone who partied lots? Maybe it was how hungover he looked.
"Oh- um I don't really go to parties..." Dan replied. At least not since my boyfriend broke up with me.
Phil was quiet for a moment, frowning at Dan. "Oh. Okay. Well, enjoy your meal." He said, insinuating that the conversation was finished.
"Um- yeah. Will do. Thanks." Dan mumbled before turning on his heel and walking to his table.
He admitted to himself that it could've gone much worse. Dan sat back in his chair, watching as the little old lady and her granddaughter stood up to leave. He smiled at them and the little girl shrunk into her grandmother's side. How ugly was he?! He looked down at the floor, tapping his foot absentmindedly.

He heard someone clear their throat beside him. Dan looked up and was surprised to see it was Phil again, holding his number card.
"Uh, you forgot this." Phil smiled at him, setting it down on the table.
"Oh- thanks. You could've just called me up to the counter."
"That wouldn't have been very chivalrous of me though... So, as you already know my amazing name, what's yours?" Phil asked, smiling widely at him. His tongue stuck out between his teeth cutely and Dan couldn't help but blush.
"It's Dan." He replied.
"That's a nice name," The inky-haired boy smiled before glancing back to the counter. "I'd better get back to work then... Dan. I'll bring your meal to you when it's ready." He smiled and walked away.

Dan hadn't felt like this since, well, since he met Nick. If he was feeling like this right now, should he flirt more? Ask Phil more questions? Invite him for a drink? Dan hated the complications of dating and flirting. He sighed and looked down at the tables grey surface before pulling his phone out of his pocket.

He unlocked it, annoyed that he hadn't received any texts in the past few hours. No one wanted to wish him happy new year's or ask him for a drink. His phone used to buzz with requests much more often when Nick was around. Dan shoved his phone back into his pocket and turned to look out the window.

He was pulled from his bored stare out the window by the scraping of a chair against the tiled floors. Dan turned around to see Phil had sat himself down in the seat opposite Dan. His meal had been placed in front of him and Phil was grinning lopsidedly.

"Oh! Thanks." Dan smiled down at his food, feeling slightly awkward to eat in front of this stranger.
"It's alright. Can I have a chip?" Phil asked, licking his lips.
"Of course," He replied, gesturing to them before beginning to munch away at his burger.

Dan's meal passed quickly. He ate his burger and Phil slowly picked away at his chips. What a thief. He didn't do anything about it though, Phil looked far too cute for him to intervene.

"So... Why aren't you working still?" Dan asked.
"No one else is coming in tonight," Phil shrugged. "The shop is pretty much closed. Most of the other guys working here have left a little early." He gestured to the counter where only two people stood. They were sucking each other's faces off. Dan's stomach felt queasy.
"Oh okay. Why haven't you left yet Phil?"
"Because you're still here, silly. They've left me to close up by myself. Very rude of them if I say so." Phil smiled.
"Oh my gosh, I'm sorry. I'm holding you up, aren't I?"
"No no no of course not. It's been nice talking to you,"
"Okay..." Dan bit his lip, looking down at his empty plate.
"So, Dan, what are you interested in?" Phil asked him curiously.
"Nothing really interesting. I like watching anime and films and reading books and stuff." Dan replied shrugging.
"I think that's very interesting. I'm interested in animals and watching anime as well."

And then they were off. Their conversation skyrocketed and they talked about lots of things. From Dan's opinion on a certain anime to Phil's favourite animal; they talked. Dan loved every second of it.

"Thanks for my meal and the chat." Dan said, grinning.
"It's alright! Um- can I have your phone?" Phil asked, frowning at him.
"Why do you want my phone?!" Dan replied, alarmed.
"So I can put my number in it, silly." Phil rolled his eyes and held out his hand. Dan nodded, flushing slightly as he pulled the phone out of his pocket. He gingerly placed it in Phil's outstretched hand. Phil winked at him and quickly entered a contact for himself.

He handed Dan his phone back. "There you go, Dan. Happy New Year's." Phil said slowly. Dan nodded.
"Yeah. Have a good year."
"I will. And I'll see you plenty throughout my year, won't I?" Phil asked, squinting his eyes at him. Dan hadn't realised that Phil would actually be interested in him like this. He was relieved nevertheless.
"Of course! Of course... Bye Phil." Dan smiled at him and Phil smiled back.

Dan walked the few blocks back to his small apartment slowly. He unlocked the door, walking inside and onto his balcony.

As the fireworks went off in the sky at 12 o'clock, Dan smiled. New Year's Eve felt like it could be his favourite holiday again.