Chapter 2: Tree-Mother

Willem has always been a quiet boy that stayed to himself. I got used to this fact long before others became concerned by it. Some said that he may have a mental delay or abnormality, but to me he was everything I could ever want. He was a peaceful and loving child for the longest time, but after living in my home for three years his demeanor changed completely.

On the evening of Willem's ninth birthday there was a noticeable shift in his behavior. He went from the quiet loving child that always wanted to be near me to this destructive, little hobgoblin.  I was deeply  concerned about this. So, I hastily took him to a psychologist. Upon arriving at the quaint, white building with a dull red door I removed my, now very talkative, child from the backseat of my vehicle. I carried the writhing, babbling creature to the threshold of the building. I paused as my hand rested on the doorknob. What am I doing here? Willem is perfectly fine the way he is. Right?

I entered the building to a small room filled with chairs. There was a plump woman with a face the resembles a pug behind a desk in the corner. Hesitant, I approached her with a calm, social smile on my lips. "Hello? Is the doctor in?"

The woman looked up a me with disinterest, and mumbled that he was busy at the moment. I took a seat and waited. It was another hour or so till we were called back into a foul smelling office filled with bleek lighting.

The doctor arrived shortly after we entered the ill looking cell. He questioned me on my childs behavior and other things before asking to see the child personally.

I handed the child over to the professional to be examined. He forced me back into the bleak room to wait. My rampant mind caused me to worry more about my once sweet child. When the evaluation of my son was completed the doctor, whose name I believe is Matthews, stated that Willem was showing many symptoms of Schizotypal Personality Disorder. I was told to look into the medical history of his family for schizophrenia in order to be sure.

It meant I had to return to that place.