Freedom (Isaac Lahey Love Story)

Lights. She just had to get to the lights. "You can do it!" She hissed to herself. She just had to sprint a little faster, push harder to reach her destination. She was so close, she couldn't give up now. Suddenly, she stopped. A house. And old house in the middle of the woods. She stepped to the door and pushed it lightly open. She inhaled deeply, she could smell burnt wood, must, and something foul, like death. She shivered. She had splashed through a river earlier, to throw off her scent, and was still damp. Unashamed, she stripped down to her underwear, hanging her jacket, pants, shirt, and socks over an old table to dry. She poked it hesitantly, fearing it would disintegrate in to a pile of ash. She laid down on the only comfortable looking piece of furniture in the room, a smelly old couch. Spreading a thin blanket over herself, she closed her eyes, and tried to settle her mind. A few short minutes later, she was sound asleep.

~

When she woke up, it was bright out, and she heard the pleasant sound of birds chirping in the tall trees. She stood up stretched. Leaning down to touch her toes, she spread her hands flat on the ground and sighed. She'd probably have to sign for school today. And find a place to live. Lying back on the couch, she moaned and buried her face under the blanket.

~

Thirty minutes later she was dressed and ready to go, walking up the steps to the school. "Beacon Hills High" She said to herself thoughtfully. Running a hand through her dark curls, she entered the office doors. Flashing a pearly white grin to the secretary,
she announced "My name is Serena Beth Blake, and I'm new here."