New Girl

Claude

"Alright Claude, as you know we drafted a new player straight from college. Their skill level is close to yours and I want you to help them out and give them a good welcome." Coach H spoke clearly as I sat in his office.

"Of course coach, any teammate deserves a good welcome. Does he have a place to stay? My door is always open."

"Well, they are staying with Reader and his wife." He laughed gently.

"Hey coach, I-" I turned to face a slightly small blonde. "Hi! I'm Lèa, you must be Claude." Her glove covered hand reached out to meet mine. "Sorry." She let out a laugh and removed her glove to reveal her small hands.

"You're the new player?" I give her a small look before I shake her hand carefully.

"Yeah? Is that a problem?" She gave me the same look I gave her.

"I just didn't think you would be a girl." I let my fingers run through my hair before I look back at coach.

"Giroux, go get ready. I'll talk to Black and get her filled in." Coach H nodded me off.

I took one last look at Lèa as I stepped by.

She was at least 5'8 on skates, 5'2 or 5'3 off skates.

She. She. I can't get over that. She.

Girls don't play in the NHL.

"G! Did you meet Black?" Mase gave me a small grin.

"Oui."

--

Whistle. Skate. Whistle. Stop. Whistle. Skate. Whistle. Hustle. Whistle. Skate.

Half of the team fell out about fifteen minutes later.

They all just dropped until it was Lèa and I.

I had to win.

I could not let a girl beat me.

She didn't even look tired.

She looked like this was nothing.

I felt like my chest was on fire.

I felt my knees give out.

I lost.

I lost to the new girl.

She skated over and held her hand out.

"You alright?"

I ignored her hand and got up on my own.

"Fine."

I brushed the snow off my jersey and my shorts before I skated over to the bench.

"G man, what's wrong?" Wayne nudged my shoulder.

"She shouldn't even be here. She's a girl. Girls don't belong in the NHL." I shook my head as I watched he stick handle the puck.

She had quick hands, quick enough to beat Delly one on one.

"She's good man." He shrugged.

She wasn't as good as me.

I took my place to scrimmage against her team.

She looked up at me and gave me a small smile before she won the face off.

She completely ran into my shoulder knocking me off balance.

She received a pass from Raffl, then sent it back to Read, he sent it back to her and I checked her hard onto the ice.

Everyone stood still as they watched she got up quickly and began to skate after me.

"Why the fuck are we waiting, C'mon!" She yelled.

Everyone shook out of their daze and began to carry on.

Lèa poked the puck from my stick and gained control of it.

"Merde." I mumbled and moved to the bench for a line switch.

She took a quick shot to Mase's five hole and it hit the net and she nodded and tapped Mase's helmet before she moved over to the bench for a switch.

No celebration.

Everyone celebrates.

Why doesn't she?

"If looks could kill Claude, she'd be dead. Relax." Jakub lightly pressed his hand on my back.

"Alright, bring it in." Coach whistled.

--

"Hey, Claude!" Lèa smiled as she ran up to my side.

"Hi." I spoke gently.

"Matt said that I could catch a ride with you to his house. Is that okay?"

"I'm going a different way tonight sorry."

"Oh."

"Sorry, but maybe you should plan a ride earlier. But what can I expect from the new girl." I laughed softly.

"Right, whatever." She pushed past me to Raffl who messed with her hat.

"Of course, little one. You can ride with me." He nodded. "Don't listen to G, he is a cocky douche sometimes."

She was a girl.

She was the new girl.