Chapter 1

This is my first historical romance so bear with me.

Hope you like it!

*****

**Eleanor’s POV**
Eleanor looked back. She had always hoped it would never have to come to this. That she would be married by now, to boring uncaring man, who left her alone, maybe in a nice country estate. Aaway from this city, people and everything in between. Except she wasn't and her uncle was forcing her into a marriage with Lord Blackthorn, who was rumoured to be the most cruellest, vicious man in all of the country.

Pulling her coats closer she looked up to the heavens. Dark, stormy rain clouds covered the entire sky. She couldn't see any of the glorious, wonderful blue she longed to see. Eleanor shivered as the first wet drop splashed onto her cheek and slid down her the pale pane of her neck.

It was getting colder and colder by the minute as a frosty gale whipped around her. As she went to step again her foot stumbled in a ditch and Eleanor tumbled into a dirty ditch. As the rain kept pouring, her resolve of getting away crumbled and she lay there, still.  A gentle blackness crept into her vision. She prayed silently to whoever was listening that she could get away from all this, that she would be able to see her parents again, instead of living this way, fearing for her every move. That she would be blocked at every turn from .living a life she always wanted.

**Robert’s POV**
Robert looked out the window. Dark, impending storm clouds hung over everything, with the rain coming down heavily in big sheets, making everything seem obscure. Robert felt the same as what he saw. Heading to his mother's luncheon at her country estate, he knew it was only to talk about his recent engagement to the Lady Eleanor.

He sighed vaguely as he tried to see past the torrents of rain through the carriage window. Squinting out into the countryside, felt a prickle down his spine. Something was out there. The carriage tossed and turned, bumping slightly. It must have just been an animal, he told himself. It was hard to see in the light but as he squinted more he got the feeling that it wasn't an animal.

"Stop!"

The carriage lurched to a stop as the driver made the carriage stop. As he stepped out into the rain, Lord Robert knew it wasn't an animal. Walking over t the bulky shape on the side of the rpoad, he stood, peering over it. Having a closer look he realised shape was a person. A girl in fact. Crouched down in front of her he saw that the dress she wore she came from a wealthy family, even though it was splattered in mud from the horrible ditch she was in. She was lucky she had not broken anything from the fall. So why would she be out here alone, with no escort, no carriage.

Why would she run away? He dismissed the thought as quickly as it had come. Robert picked the girl up and strode over towards the warm safety of the carriage. Carefully placing the girl in the carriage, Robert took off his undercoat and placed it over the shivering girl. Knocking the top of the roof the carriage rolled to a start.

He hoped the driver would go a little faster, knowing he was late for his mother’s lunch now. Shifting the pale girl, no woman, he realised as he looked closer. Her height had alluded to what she was. Robert saw her lips were blue and she was unnaturally pale, as white as a ghost, as he gazed upon her. His mouth a firm line he gazed at her. Light freckles adorned her face, stark in contrast with her ghostly, pallor face. Wet strands stuck to her brow.

As he swiped the fibres of hair his fingers skimmed over her button nose and full lips. Even out cold she was ravishing. Repositioning her head and upper body was in his lap, he stroked her head. Funny how he already felt responsible for this woman. Staring at her so frankly would usually gain his mother’s wrath. That jolted panic into his heart. What would his mother say about bringing a strange female into their home.  He figured his mother wouldn't mind at first, hoping her maternal instincts would help him get to the bottom of why this girl was out in the storm.