Noor

Noor was old and wrinkled, she could hardly remember what her old life had been.
She remembered a time when she was young and well poised, with thick black hair that shone like silver. That was before she married the young handsome Major Singh who had the darkest most beautiful eyes.
Of course her family disowned her.
And of course they had their ups and downs,
But they also had the most adorable black haired, dark eyed baby girl with the prettiest lashes.
It was a good five  years followed by mediocre five and another few where she ceased to care,
But well she had always been a hopeless romantic as her own mother used to say,
And fairy tales donot last.

When the major died, her daughter was still young, but she had inherited the fierce bold spirit of her mother and the reckless courage of her father, she will be a survivor, Noor used to think.
Of course all this thinking was before the Alzheimer's took over her life and turned every day blurry.
It was confusing and frustrating to be unable to cope with everyday life and struggle to remember people close by.
She was now in an institution, she didnot complain about that. She didn't see the point.
She probably didn't know by now why or where she was,
But yes as the clock struck 10 on Sunday's, she knew a familiar flutter in her stomach and an anxiousness in her heart, her eyes of their own accord would dart to the door and without fail she would see the beautiful young woman with thick black curls smile at her, on the days she recognised her daughter she would smile at her and talk, on other days she would stare with surprise and sometimes get annoyed as the woman proceeded to greet her cautiously and try to steer some talk out of her.
It was those few hours that probably still kept her going.
It was on one of those days that she came
In a red sweater that reached her knees and smiled the saddest smile she had seen.

Noor knew something was up. But it was not one of her good days she couldn't focus on who the girl was,
Noor wanted to comfort her,
She didn't know how.
Noor was at a loss.
Her daughter smiled another sad smile,
'You need me to fight mother,
I need me to fight, it's far from over'
She whispered.