~16~

~Niall Horan~

"I got mad at her and lost my temper. I scared her to death, Niall. A-and then I broke up with her. Now she's gone," Zayn cries, hiding his eyes in his hands.

I stay silent, not at all sure of a proper response.

"I'm such an idiot. I'm too short-tempered. I wish I could just start over!" Zayn roughly grabs my shirt, jerking me with his words, "Why can't I start over? Madeline can't be dead! She's my princess! She's my everything! Madeline is my world! She's not gone, Niall! She's not!"

My bruised and beaten body cries out against his grip. I stay quiet, tears nipping at my eyes, bringing a burning sensation to their surfaces.

Zayn lets go, falling back into a chair. He looks over at me and examines my face.

He stutters, "N-Niall?"

"Yeah?"

"Did I hurt you?" Zayn questions, scratching his arm nervously. I shrug, for if I told the truth, I'd make him feel bad.

He returns my answer with a stern look, obviously not buying the lie.

I suck in a breath and reply, "I'm fine, Zayn. I'm just a bit weak."

An awkward silence fills the space between us and I am burdened with the awkward silence of my memories haunting me.

"How did Madeline die?" Zayn asks, running a hand across his forehead. Clouds form in his eyes and I can tell that the thought of the girl that has stolen my heart hurts him so much. The fire that once stood in his expression, that even tortured my past high school experiences is gone. He is sad, tortured by what once was. His heart seems to have crumbled in defeat. I know that he thinks the girl he loves is gone.

I take a breath, once again piecing together the lie, "My uncle...h-he took his means of torture a bit too far. He thought she was kidding with the weakness she showed. He was wrong." Tears fill my eyes at the thought of Madeline hurt. I can just picture her crying. I can just see the life in her eyes flicker one last time before going out...forever.

The thought tortures me. It's like a billion knives are plunged into my body one at a time, slowly, harshly. They torture me with the pain to the point that my effort to stay conscious is no longer worth it.

I have to face the facts. I'm in love with Madeline Payne. I will do anything to protect her...anything.

Zayn falls back into a chair that rests on the floor behind him, his hands covering his eyes. His shoulders jerk up and down as sobs shake his body.

"She's gone," He cries, "Oh god she's gone."

Do I comfort him? Do I tell him that it's okay? No, that would be a lie. Nothing is okay about this.

I have to save Madeline...even if it gets me killed.

A sentence flies past my lips before I have the chance to stop them, "Zayn, Madeline is alive." The cold, hard truth flies from my lips much to my dismay. Throwing a hand over my mouth, I sit in the chair behind me, shaking in pure fear.

"She's alive?"

Unable to respond to his question, I shake in fear, "He's going to kill me. No, no, no. He's going to kill me."

"Niall, who's going to kill you? Your uncle? Where's Madeline?" Zayn questions, standing to place a hand on my shoulder.

"No, no, no, Zayn. My dad. My own father. Madeline's there, at my house, with him," I reply, tears now pouring from my eyes.

I'm a baby. I'm a disgrace. I can't keep my mouth shut to save my love's life. I won't let my dad kill her. I will not!

"Has he hurt her?" He asks, a whimper flying past his lips. Shaking my head, I wipe my eyes.

"Not yet."
----------------------------------------------

I'm so sorry that I haven't updated in forever, but I've started softball which is pretty well every day. I apologize for the short update, but I couldn't figure out what I wanted for this chapter, and I wanted to update for you guys.

Thanks for sticking with me.

How do you feel about Zayn knowing? What do you think the new-found friends will do to save the girl they love?

Thanks for reading guys!

maddy