Taking Flight

Chapter Three

As we waited for Claire, the four of us splashed around in the water for an hour or so. Ducking under waves and having water fights. Why couldn't mum and I have these sorts of fights?

Scar and Trev got out of the water to go and dry off in the changing rooms. Ian and I stayed in a bit longer, enjoying the sun before it got too hot.

Claire arrived not long after Scar and Trev came back from the changing rooms. The three of them sat and chatted on the beach. They seemed fine for the time being, so Ian and I didn't make an effort to get out in a hurry.

Splash!

He pushed me over 'accidentally'. Well, so he said as he offered me a hand. I took his hand in no time at all and used my swimming strength pulled his tall figure into the water behind me.

Quick! I said to myself in my head. Sprinting as hard as I could out of the warm water.

Two metres from the shoreline and I felt my feet being lifted from the ground. "Aggh!" I couldn't help but yelp. Ian's soft hands held me upside down on his shoulder.

My head facing his smooth abs. They weren't rock solid like you see in the T.V advertisements these days, but they were noticeable. Ian isn't one to show off, well unless you know him that is.

He thought he had me under control in the fireman lift. Oh Ian if you only remembered that I knew you were ticklish.

Raising my arms to his neck I started my tickling. He immediately burst into fits of laughter and let go of my waist. I wobbled a bit, then forward flipped off of his shoulder and made a made dash for the others.

I could hear his foot steps not far behind me. Suddenly spinning around, Ian had no option but to stop only inches from my face.

Both of us breathing heavily, I took a step back and said "Truce?"

"Truce." And with that we both burst into laughter.

He gave me a piggy back the rest of the way up the beach as an apology for 'accidentally' pushing me over. To be honest I didn't really care. Maybe it was the fact that I found it funny that he had me on his back, scorching sand on his feet, panting as he trekked through the soft sand. Mean, I know, but he offered and I wasn't going to say no.

Jumping off Ian's back, I walked over to Claire and gave her a quick squeeze. Then I went and sat between Scar and her.

"Now what was it that you wanted to say?" said Claire.

Here goes.

"Okay. First I'd like to formally announce to you all that I have quit swimming, for good."

Their teeth all gleamed at me and Scar gave me an amorous hug. There were congratulations all around.

For so long now they've had to put up with my depression. Everyone with me now has been a shoulder to cry on at least once or twice. I suppose all they are feeling is relief.

"How are we going to celebrate this glorious moment?" Trev asked in a gleeful tone, rolling his tongue on glorious.

"What about a road trip?" asked Ian.

"What about school?" asked Claire "I am on a scholarship. It's not exactly like a can ditch school for however long I want."

"You know for someone that's on a scholarship you sometimes don't think do you Claire? There's these really great things called holidays which happen to be starting next week." Said Scar

"Thanks for the sarcasm, Scar. I really appreciate it." Claire replied.

"Your using it too now!" said Trev. I sighed, always butting in he is.