A Love Rekindled

Emilia

"I'm going to miss you so much! I am so happy for you, I know how much this means, getting out of the country and moving to New York!" Sophie Dobney, her very best friend ever since the age of three, was hugging her to no end. Emilia smiled, her strong Southern accent ringing in her ear.

"I am going to miss you so much as well! Little Emmie and Michael too, those darlings! Tell Dave and them goodbye from me and that I will be seeing them at Thanksgiving. I absolutely can't wait to see your family again!" Emilia says, pulling back.

"Take care okay? Yankees are different to us Southern folk, ask my brother for any help." Sophie had asked her brother who had a spare room in his flat if it was okay for her to stay with him. New York population density and all made it hard to find a place to live, and prices were not cheap. Jasper Somerville. Sophie's brother, and her one sided crush from childhood and her teenage years. Sophie did know about it, but she believed her when she said she was over it, and Emilia was. She hoped. She hadn't seen him in three years, since he upped and left Dallas. It was then Emilia decided she needed to move on, dating few and far between. The men in her town were like brothers to her, they grew up together. It was a factor in accepting a job from a business company and moving to the Big Apple. Emilia didn't know whether seeing Jasper again would reignite her girlish crush. She hoped it wouldn't.

"Who would have thought? Emilia Grace, playing in the hay at three, and leaving to New York at twenty two!" And with that declaration finished, Sophie, emotional Sophie, promptly burst into a waterfall of tears. She was surprised she lasted this long.

"I have to go now, don't want to miss my flight do we?" Emilia smiles at her, albeit tearfully. Extracting herself from her vice grip, she quickly brushed her eyes, making sure not to smudge her mascara. Sophie looked at Emilia like a child losing her favorite toy, in this case, her best friend. Still sobbing, she hugged her once more.

"Make sure you call, write, text, whatever, just keep in touch," she said, sniffling.

"Of course! You know I will," but still, Sophie raises her pinkie. She laughed, twenty two, married, and a mother of twins, yet she can still be as delightfully childish as when they were kids. She interlocked their pinkies, accompanied with a watery smile. Sophie smiled back, tears in her eyes. They embrace once more.

"Final call for boarding on plane to New York," says the speaker.

The pair smile and hug again. Tears in eyes. Emilia walks to the plane, shooting glances over her shoulder and finally waving goodbye. As she settle into my seat she looks out the window. Goodbye Texas, hello New York.

JASPER

Jasper sips his drink, the club music pounding out a beat around him. Alvin, his good friend and coworker was hooting and chatting loudly with their friends. He checked his watch, 8:39 pm.

"Hey Alvin, I've got to go, Emilia's flight is landing soon and I've got to go pick her up," Jasper calls to him.

"Emilia? Your sister's friend right? The one who's going to be staying with you? When's her plane coming in?" Alvin asks.

"9:15. It's been three years since I last saw her. Wonder if she looks the same," Jasper replies, thinking of the 19 year old girl he last saw three years ago, the one he had known since childhood.

"Oh man, no more get togethers at your house I guess," Alvin says teasingly.

"Bye Jasper, show her around when she settles in okay? I want to meet her."

"Will do, see ya," Jasper replied getting up and slapping him on the back.

He walked out and entered his car, the constant New York hubbub following him as he drives towards the airport.