Prolugue

A bonfire bursts with emotion behind a brick building in the otherwise dark night. A crowd of eager people stand beneath the balcony, where a mother and her new child sits. Her mother smiles.

"01-03•7,"  she whispers, "you are here."

The darling baby squeals as if she understood that it was the biggest announcement of the year.
"01-03•7," the people below echoe through their pollution reducing masks. "01-03•7, welcome to Earth."

Someone pushes a button. The button. A generic pink satellite floats up into the air to meet with the dozens of others speckled across the sky. The people cheer, and one by one they slowly wander off to find something else to do besides breathing in their clear oxygen masks on the clear paved sidewalk.

The mother holds her baby to her chest tightly, a lock of her curly brown hair escaping from behind her ears.

"Come on honey," she says, "let's get you into your crib and design your satellite alright?"

Placing her gently into the pink crib inside the quiet apartment, the woman pulls out a laptop out and sits down on to the floor beside the crib. She presses the thin laptop against her thighs.

After a few minutes of clicking typing sounds, the woman smiles and stands.

"There," she announces, "now you've got a..." Her words fade away as 01-03•7's face turns blotchy, red and purple all at the same time. The baby opens her cute little mouth as something trickles from her eyes. The mother screams, frozen in place on the ground.

That was the first and last day the mother saw her baby.