This One Breaks My Heart

It seemed to be getting worse by the day. The poor girl had no idea what to do. It used to only happen about once every few months, but time passed. A year later, and she's feeling useless at least once a week.

But now she seems to have to stop herself from breaking into tears every few hours. Life isn't fair, that's what they always told her.

No, it wasn't. Not while her parents would scold her for every little thing she does. Her brother has it easy. He's older, he should be expected to be the responsible one, but he can scream at at nothing for hours and she seems to be the only one who cares.

She's the only one who hates everything that they say. But she's definitely not the only one who hates everything she herself says. They all do.

She tries to make him quiet, he just yells at her. She picks up the volume, speaking at a much louder tone. Then he hits her. Or shoves her. Or kicks her. He does something, but it seems not to matter to him.

It scares her. She yells, storms into her room. She turns off the lights, and collapses onto her bed, crying as silently as she can manage.

'It must be something wrong with me,' she thinks. 'It has to be. I'm the bad guy here, right?'

She always thinks that.

She has friends, of course, but she isn't allowed to see them. She got in trouble earlier, and now, now she has to spend three weeks isolated.

She's sick and tired of it all.

She wants to die.

But she doesn't want to die by her own hand.

She wants to live.

But she doesn't want to live with the people she once called her family.

They don't matter to her anymore, and she doesn't matter to them.

She's been hiding behind a shield.

She's been stuck in a cage.

And for once in her life, she just wants to be free.

She wants to feel loved.

If only for a moment.

-A friend