Meteor Wish- Chapter 2: Anne

Hey guys here’s Chapter 2 in Anne’s POV. I tried my best to make the structure of this chapter seem like a real language from the 19th century so if you guys find some things weird, there are references at the end of the chapter that will help you understand better. Enjoy!

★Anne ★

“Mr Croft, can you believe it? Our Catherine is getting married!” My mother enthusiastically said, “And to a Baron! No less!”

“Our Catherine will be a Baroness!” She smiled at Catherine in delight.

“My dear Mrs Croft, do calm down. We are all aware that she cannot wed until she has been officially introduced to the society,” My father said as he read through his business letters. “And God knows how long until our beloved Anneliza will finally marry,” He added. [1] Mother gave me a quick glare before returning to her embroidery. She is still mad at me for rejecting Sir Elliot. I cannot blame her, Sir Elliot is the Baron of Marlow and any other woman would have accepted him without hesitation. However I am not like the others, I long to be with someone I love, or at least fancy. Oh, might I add that Sir Elliot happens to be the same Baron that my lovely sister is now bestrode to. Straight after my rejection, Sir Elliot courted my sister and proposed to her without hesitation. And Catherine, being the obedient daughter she is, agreed to Sir Elliot’s proposal.

I turned my attention back to my sewing. I was embroiling my initials on the corner of my handkerchief. Then a sudden knock at the door disturbed our silence.

“Come in!” Father said and Markus, one of our house guards came.

“Sir,” he bowed to Father, “A messenger sent by the Duke of Buckinghamshire,” he informed.

“Send him in,” Father ordered. Markus opened the door to reveal a formally dressed messenger

“Speak good Sir,” Father ordered the messenger. The messenger took a scroll from his satchel and opened it with such experienced posture.

“The great Duke of Buckinghamshire, Lord Andrew Wentworth, invites thee, Sir Fredric Croft, Lady Amelia Croft, Miss Catherine Croft, and Miss Anneliza Croft, from the house of Longbourn, to a small gathering at the Buckinghamshire palace this Sunday,” the messenger announced. “Here is also a letter from the Duke himself,” He added and handed the scroll of invitation along with an envelope to father.  The messenger bowed and excused himself.

As soon as our family were again alone at our house library, Mother and Catherine immediately ran towards Fathers side to get a glimpse of the letter.

After a few minutes of reading the letter, the three of them looked directly at me with such shocked expression. I tilted my head and gave them a questioning look.

“The Duke has also invited our family to stay at his palace for the whole next week after the gathering, he also wishes us to arrive at least a day early,” Mother excitedly explained. My brows frowned even more in confusion. That’s odd. Nobles of such high rank as the Duke, does not often interact with middle class nobles such as my family. Being invited by the Duke into a gathering was already extraordinary. But being invited to stay at the Duke’s palace for a whole week is just plain miraculous. High class nobles like the Duke tend to keep their company in the same level of nobility. [2]

“How so?” I asked.

“Apparently the Duke has heard about your extraordinary beauty and talents. He wishes to introduce you to his son, the Earl of Sterling before the gathering,” Mother grinned. My eyes widened in horror as I inferred an obvious reason: I am a candidate for the Earl’s wife. I have heard of news that the young Earl is looking for a wife but I thought nothing of it. Females below high ranked nobles were never chosen from.